Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

selyb

Modding
How To Convert Skyrim Mods To Xbox360 Dlc

80 posts in this topic

Installing Skyrim mods on Xbox360 requires a JTAG/RGH console. If you don't know what that means then you don't have one. If you want more information on it, use your favorite search engine. If you need help installing converted mods, refer to my tutorial.

Do not make requests here. To request mod conversions, make a thread in the request forum

IMPORTANT

If this mod contains meshes that scale (change size) then do not expect this mod to work correctly or at all on the 360. This means any body armor, gauntlets/gloves or custom animals and they often come in a pair like body_0.nif and body_1.nif.

Nebby85 said:

There is a flaw with converting certain meshes. Meshes that require body morphing usually meshes that have _0.nif and _1.nif variants (usually armour and clothing) don’t scale at all on the xbox YET. Also you may find that torso and glove/gauntlet meshes distort really bad. If it’s a weapon mod you should have no problem.

If the dds textures in this mod are too detailed (HD textures like 1024x1024 or bigger) then the Xbox360 may or may not be able to handle them. YMMV and only trial and error can tell you how well they will work. If it is known that the hi-res textures give poor performance on lower end machines, then you probably want to resize them using one of the image editors mentioned above to 1/2 or 1/4 original size (e.g. 1024x1024 -> 256x256)

It is important to know if the mod is supposed to replace original files in the data folder. If this is the case then we need to extract the files from the original and repack. This can get complicated if you have Skyrim installed as GOD. (Check the More Info section of this tutorial)

Tools Needed:

BSAopt v2 or higher - Link

Velocity - link or Friday DLC Maker

PREP

For the sake of this tutorial, we will make a new folder for the mod's files -> C:\mymod

Extract mod files here

Also make a new folder C:\mymod\data

If the mod contains folders that are supposed to be "dropped into the skyrim data folder" then move those folders to C:\mymod\data

At this point, the only things in the mymod folder should be any .esm,.esp, and .bsa files and the data folder, remove anything else

CREATING A BSA ARCHIVE

1) Open BSAOpt. If you get an error about missing msvcp110.dll, then you need to install the vcredist from the link provided in the download.

2) Click Game > Skyrim (Xbox 360)

post-10456-0-29611500-1355755136_thumb.j

3) Click Compression > 0 (Off)

post-10456-0-74181200-1355755149_thumb.j

4) Click the bottom browse button and choose a destination (e.g. C:\mymod\mymod.bsa)

post-10456-0-80633100-1355755161_thumb.j

5) Click the top browse button and choose the original bsa or if there were loose files, browse to the data folder and hit 'Use Folder'

post-10456-0-43436400-1355755172_thumb.j

6) Click Convert/Pack

post-10456-0-80287900-1355755221_thumb.j

MAKE THE DLC

For Velocity

1) Click File > Create Package

2) Choose Retail, hit next

3) Choose Live, hit next

4) Choose Market Place Content, hit next

5) For display name, enter the name of this mod the way you want it to display in dashboard memory management

6) For Title Name, put Skyrim

7) For Title ID, put 425307e6, hit next

post-10456-0-16461800-1355755257_thumb.j

8) Choose any 64x64 png for the thumbnails. This is one that I jacked from one of Nebby85's ports or something like that. Here is one that I made from a google image search.

Hit next

9) Choose the destination file for the DLC container, hit next

10) Right click in the blank bottom window, Inject Here. Choose the bsa file. Do the same for the esp file. If this mod has more than one esp file you can add those as well.

11) When done adding files, close this window. You are done.

For Friday DLC Maker

1) Choose the input folder. This folder must contain all files that will go into the DLC, no more, no less. Friday DLC Maker has no interface to add or exclude individual files. If xlast hangs then kill the process xlast.exe and try renaming any mod files with long names or if any contain a _

2) Choose a title for your mod. This is what you will see in the Memory section of retail dash or under Addons in the Skyrim main menu.

3) The titleid is 425307E6

4) Skyrim for game name.

5) Choose any 64x64 png for the package icon. This is one that I jacked from one of Nebby85's ports or something like that. Here is one that I made from a google image search.

6) I always leave Description empty

7) Content type is 00000002

8) Output filename should be obvious.

9) I leave all bottom options unchecked unless the process hangs. In that case, I try again with the first two checked and see if I can tell what went wrong.

FINISHED!

Now transfer to your content folder :smile:

MORE INFO

Extracting .bsa files

Use BSAOpt v1.6.3 or higher. It is the only extractor I have found that will extract the Xbox 360 version of Skyrim - Textures.bsa correctly.

For FOMM, drag the .bsa onto FOMM.exe. Don't double click on fomm.exe because it will ask where you have Fallout installed and won't go any further. When you drag the bsa onto fomm.exe, just choose one game and hit next, it doesn't matter. Then extract all to a folder (e.g. C:\mymod\data)

If you need to extract Skyrim - Textures.bsa, open BSAOpt. Click Settings > Skip Hash-Check. At the bottom, hit browse, go to the extract folder (e.g. C:\mymod\data) and hit use folder. Then at the top, hit browse and choose Skyrim - Textures.bsa. Hit unpack. Close when finished.

TESArchive flags used on official Xbox360 bsa's

These cannot be manually set using BSAOpt. BSAOpt sets the flags automatically depending on the files you are packing.

Skyrim - Animations.bsa: Compress Archive, Xbox 360 Archive

Skyrim - Interface.bsa: Xbox 360 Archive

Skyrim - Meshes.bsa: Meshes, Compress Archive, Retain Strings During Startup, Xbox 360 Archive

Skyrim - Misc.bsa: Retain File Names, Xbox 360 Archive

Skyrim - Shaders.bsa: Xbox 360 Archive

Skyrim - Sounds.bsa: Sounds, Voices, Retain File Names, Xbox 360 Archive

Skyrim - Textures.bsa: Textures, Xbox 360 Archive, Embed File Names

Skyrim - Voices.bsa: Voices, Xbox 360 Archive

Skyrim - Voices2.bsa: Voices, Xbox 360 Archive

Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa: Voices, Xbox 360 Archive

Update.bsa: Retain File Names, Xbox 360 Archive

Update2.bsa: Retain File Names, Xbox 360 Archive

Dawnguard.bsa: Meshes, Textures, Sounds, Voices, Retain File Names, Retain Strings During Startup, Xbox 360 Archive

Edited by selyb
gearofwar and fookr like this

I followed you over from 360iso. I have several questions as I plan on getting back into skyrim as I stopped playing due to lockups and such that it seems you've found the answer for.

I have several mods installed but nothing too invasive. I created a single DLC pack for all my mods which seemed to help with some slow down issues. I was curious about load order within a package if it works from bottom up or top down and also is it essential to remove .esm into a separate container that loads first? Everything is working the way it is right now so this isn't critical just more out of curiousity.

My problem was that I had extracted with FOMM instead of BSAopt. I've read a few things since I last did anything with modding and would like to only play mods that do not kill stability. I have only installed mods that are confirmed working by others and probably won't install things aside from those.

Would extracting each necessary bsa for a mod, then repacking lead to better performance or should I only worry about repacking textures and leaving the other files loose in the data folder?

Or should I be creating a bsa for each mod with the name matching the esp? I read something about this but haven't tried it and doesn't seem like people are really doing this.

Thanks for your tutorial by the way.

I was curious about load order within a package if it works from bottom up or top down and also is it essential to remove .esm into a separate container that loads first? Everything is working the way it is right now so this isn't critical just more out of curiousity.
From what I know, All ESMs are loaded before any ESPs. I only recently learned load order is backward. Before rankstar informed me, I assumed that load order was top to bottom. From my own testing, the only way to successfully set the load order of all mods is to remove all mods from the 00000002 folder then copy them back. They will show in order from top to bottom in the order they were installed.

I have not done extensive testing (though you have re-piqued my interest) of how to manipulate load order within a single DLC.

Would extracting each necessary bsa for a mod, then repacking lead to better performance or should I only worry about repacking textures and leaving the other files loose in the data folder?
I'm not really sure what you want to know. Performance has many many factors and different situations yield different results. I can tell you for sure that if you have thousands of loose files that the filesystem IO will be your bottleneck. I currently have my Skyrim folder on an 8GB flash drive. I tried to extract all bsas and run the game on loose files only but it wouldn't even load. Also animations and meshes bsas are packed with compression. I repacked mine without compression and it 'seems' like it takes longer to load the main menu, but I get less stuttering (loading) in-game. I admit, this could be placebo effect.
Or should I be creating a bsa for each mod with the name matching the esp? I read something about this but haven't tried it and doesn't seem like people are really doing this.

The only requirement for filename is that it isn't too long. Le Fluffie will create an invalid DLC file if any file names are too long and won't even give an error. I need to update this tutorial since I've been using Friday DLC maker. Anyway, the bsa gets loaded regardless of filename. Esms/Esps on the other hand, sometimes depend on a certain file name. Character Creation Overhaul uses a script function GetFormFromFile("CCO - Diverse Races and Genders.esp"). This creates a problem since the filename is too long for STFS and if I rename it then the mod won't find it. Honestly I'm not even certain these mods can even 'find' Xbox360 mods using this function (need more testing).

Edit: I was mistaken. Filenames of files going into the DLC can be up to 64 characters (including extension). If any files have a _ in the name, Friday DLC amaker will hang but Le Fluffie will create a non-working DLC without complaining. /Edit

Edit2: I can't seem to reproduce 100%. Sometimes package creation hangs and I have to rename some files with long names and other times it works just fine...

/Edit2

Thanks for your tutorial by the way.
Happy to help :) Edited by selyb
fookr likes this

Thank you for all the info.

I wasn't looking for any kind of specific metric for performance just making sure the game is playable. I tried running with the textures bsa extracted and just left mod files loose and I COULD play but there was a bit of stuttering and when I tried playing the main story it would lock up. That was because I couldn't repack the textures at the time and get it to work.

I would probably be satisfied just repacking the textures and leaving other files from the mods loose if it works but I was curious about the bsa naming because I was wondering if I could just pack a different named bsa for each type (textures, meshes, sound, etc...) as necessary to include all mod files and add them to the ini to load prior to the default ones. So if there is a dds in a bsa loaded first would that load and ignore a ddx in a bsa loaded after?

I may just have the perfect combination of knowledge and naivety to sound like an idiot...

I'll need to checkout Friday DLC maker as I haven't even heard of it till now.

Don't think of the bsa's as being loaded side by side. Think of it as though you have extracted everything to one folder starting with the bsas in the ini, then the mods in the order they were loaded, then loose files in the data folder. If Skyrim looks for \Data\Textures\somemod\sometexture, It first checks for sometexture.ddx and if not found then looks for sometexture.dds. Does this make sense?

Here is how I'm playing:

Don't ask why, but I renamed all the vanilla bsas and removed "Skyrim - " from the beginning. You'll see what I mean in my ini below.

1) Extracted TU8 to c:\Update

2) Extracted c:\Update\Update.bsa to c:\Update\Data

3) Extracted c:\Update\Update2.bsa to c:\Update\Data

4) Patched default.xex with default.xexp and exported uncompressed, unencrypted

5) Copied all files and folders from TU8 (minus default.xexp and both bsas) to c:\DLC

6) Used FDM (Friday DLC Maker) to create DLC called TU8 from c:\DLC folder

7) Delete files that just went into TU8 container

8) Extract Dawnguard DLC to c:\Update

9) Extract Dawnguard.bsa to c:\Update\Data

10) Move Dawnguard.esm to c:\DLC and make a DLC out of it

11) Extract Hearthfire to c:\Update

12) Extract Hearthfires.bsa to c:\Update\Data

13) Move Hearthfires.esm to c:\DLC and make a container out of it

14) Use archive.exe to make a bsa from c:\Update\Data (I named it Update.bsa

15) Put Update.bsa with the rest of the bsas in the Skyrim\Data folder

16) Remove all files from c:\Update

17) Extract Animations.bsa to c:\Update\Data

18) Repack Animations.bsa with same options minus compression

19) Delete c:\Update\Data

20) Extract Meshes.bsa to c:\Update\Data

21) Repack Meshes.bsa with same options minus compression

22) Delete c:\Update\Data

23) Extract Textures.bsa to c:\Update\Data

24) Extract Map with Hold Borders + All Roads to c:\Update\Data

25) Delete the ddx files that the new dds files replace

26) Repack Textures.bsa

27) Delete files from c:\Update\Data

28) Extract Voices.bsa to c:\Update\Data

29) Extract Voices2.bsa to c:\Update\Data

30) Pack c:\Update\Data to Voices.bsa

31) Delete the bik file from Skyrim\Data\Video

I forgot to mention that I also put some mods in the Update.bsa that replace vanilla scripts or swf

• Stop Dark Brotherhood recurring quest
  • No Boring Sleep Wait Menu
  • Chop Forever
  • Custom Controls (got the idea from Jonthe838 but made my own controls from scratch)
  • Magick Font to replace handwritten fonts

Here is my ini

[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH
sEssentialFileCacheList=Data\Skyrim.esm, Data\Meshes.bsa, Data\Textures.bsa, Data\Animations.bsa, Data\Misc.bsa, Data\Shaders.bsa, Data\Interface.bsa, Data\Sounds.bsa, Data\Update.bsa
sUnessentialFileCacheList=Data\Voices.bsa, Data\VoicesExtra.bsa
;Remove invisible borders in main worldspace
bBorderRegionsEnabled=0

[SaveGame]
bAllowProfileTransfer=1

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Misc.bsa, Shaders.bsa, Textures.bsa, Interface.bsa, Animations.bsa, Meshes.bsa, Sounds.bsa, Update.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Voices.bsa, VoicesExtra.bsa

[ENGLISH]
sFailureMessage="Something is broken"

[Display]
;Makes lights load from farther away, works great with lighting mods :-D
fSpecularLODStartFade=8000.0000
fShadowLODStartFade=2000.0000
fLightLODStartFade=7000.0000

[Controls]
;This keeps my character from 'drifting' with my stupid loose analog stick
fLThumbDeadzone=0.40
fRThumbDeadzone=0.40

[Water]
;Adds reflections to water, credit to edwardhornet
bReflectLODObjects=1
bReflectLODLand=1
bReflectSky=1
bReflectLODTrees=1
iWaterReflectHeight=1024
iWaterReflectWidth=1024

[TerrainManager]
;Makes trees load from farther away, credit to edwardhornet
fTreeLoadDistance=30000.0000

[MapMenu]
;More flexible camera angles on the world map, I think I got this from edwardhornet as well
fMapWorldMaxHeight=150000.0000
fMapWorldMinHeight=7000.0000
fMapWorldZoomSpeed=0.3700
fMapWorldMaxPitch=400.0000
fMapWorldYawRange=400.0000
dTransitionHeight=130000.0000
fMapWorldMaxHeight=130000.0000
fMapWorldMinHeight=130.0000
fMapWorldCursorMoveArea=0.9000
fMapWorldHeightAdjustmentForce=100.0000
fMapWorldZoomSpeed=0.0500
fMapLookMouseSpeed=3.0000
fMapMoveKeyboardSpeed=0.0005
fMapZoomMouseSpeed=5.0000
;Remove clounds from world map
sMapCloudNIF=0
ZoomMouseSpeed=5.0000

[Interface]
;Disable tutorial messages that come back with every new game
bShowTutorials=0

fookr likes this

Perfect that is what I was hoping to do. So there is no problem if I create an additional bsa just for mods that has the varying file structures similar to the default skyrim bsas so long as I remove ddx files and add the mod bsa to the ini?

What settings should I select if my mod bsa contains sound, meshes and scripts? Or should I make three independent bsas to allow for the uncompressed and various options you listed in the tut?

I would just place the mod data in the corresponding bsa but it would be nice to be able to have a mod specific bsa so I could try out some other mods or make changes in a quick and easy way.

I don't get why you extracted the title update and patched it though unless you just did it because your firmware isn't up to date?

And I'm assuming that you formatted hearthfire and dawnguard as bsas so that you could mod them or does the game just run better this way?

Thanks for the ini settings too. I'll try them out after I get the game running smoothly again. ;)

The only setting required for the bsas is Xbox360 Archive. I don't know if the game treats them any different based on the flags. Some mods use them, some don't. I usually either use the original bsa from the mod as a template or the official bsas for guidance. I usually only add very large bsas to the data folder like Levelers Tower, Climates of Tamriel, and Dawnguard + Hearthfire + Update + Update2. I do this so that when I delete all DLC to manipulate load order, it doesn't take 3 hrs to copy 2GB back to my DLC folder. Any smaller bsa files go into the DLC container with the mod.

I patched the xex and converted TU8 to a dlc so I could move some of that non-changing data to the Skyrim folder and off the HDD. I was trying to cut down on load times when scanning DLC and such. Now I'm not sure moving the bsas made any difference but I still have it this way.

Thank you it is all making sense now. How do I give tons of rep on this site? The last several posts you made are going to help a lot of people. Excellent description. I can't thank you enough for all your help.

selyb likes this

How do I give tons of rep on this site?

no clue, doesn't matter anyway, I don't do what I do for rep, I enjoy helping people.

selyb, what if a mod is just an *.esp file?

I tried using the above method, and in the second time just the friday dlc maker and none worked.

Cheers, and thank you for the support.

Those are just that simple, create a DLC with only the esp. When you say none worked, do you mean it created the DLC fine but the game doesn't load it or do you mean that creating the DLC fails?

I successfully created the DLC, the game recognizes it, but doesn't work ingame. I was assuming it's the method 'cause I tried 3 different mods.

Proper Aiming, Barenziah Quest Markers and Dragonborn thu'um.

I'm really trying to master these conversion in order to, as you, make a change on the community regarding Skyrim mods, since you're probably the one that knows most of this, worldwide, as far as gamers, I have another doudbt if it's ok.

On the mod "Better Sorting", this mod contains "Interface" and "strings" inside the Data folder, so far so good, but has another folder "fomod", with a "ModuleConfig" inside of it.

In these cases, (where mods have folders of their own) what is the proper action to take? (I tried a few methods, but quite unsuccessfully).

Proper Aiming, Barenziah Quest Markers and Dragonborn thu'um.

I'm really trying to master these conversion in order to, as you, make a change on the community regarding Skyrim mods, since you're probably the one that knows most of this, worldwide, as far as gamers, I have another doudbt if it's ok.

On the mod "Better Sorting", this mod contains "Interface" and "strings" inside the Data folder, so far so good, but has another folder "fomod", with a "ModuleConfig" inside of it.

In these cases, (where mods have folders of their own) what is the proper action to take? (I tried a few methods, but quite unsuccessfully).

It's not about experience or knowledge. A lot of scripts or models from mods are simply not compatable with Xbox.

I have not tried any of those and I honestly don't have time to look at all of them. I looked at the description of better sorting and the only thing I think might be incompatible is the strings file. Just like JJIJR says though, some mods just won't work and we never figure out why. Currently I'm looking at Classic Classes and Birthsigns by Drasanil. It is supposed to give a config menu at the start but nothing happens for me. I looked at the mod and at the script and opened in TES5Edit. Nothing is conflicting, everything should work but it just doesn't for no reason :(

Yeah, like for example, I converted the ... And the realms of deadra quest mod. First of all even if I read the appropriate book I couldn't start the quest. I used console commands to start the quest. It was pretty much useless though because every other objective needed console commands for completion.

@JJIJR: sounds like the same problem for me. Mod installs but the script just isn't firing. My first version of Multi-Utility had this problem. I deleted everything, rewrote the script and it worked and I never learned what was wrong.

Interesting, didn't knew that. Thank you for the heads up.

On another note, as a suggestion, the idea of making video tutorials in order to get to a bigger target of users.

do you or anyone else know how to do what this guy did he some how got hd textures on xbox through nexus mod manager i downloaded it and got it to work perfectly on my

non-modded xbox if any1 does know how plz explain

Hello i followed ur lee fluffie tut and it workd and when i clicked load in the game i got fatal crash how do i fix the dlc?