Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

selyb

Modding
Jjc71, Author Of Climates Of Tamriel, Reported Me To An Admin On Nexus Mods

15 posts in this topic

Just recently, Sjogga90, the author of The Dawnspire and Psijic Teleport spells, PM'ed me and demanded that I take down his mods since I did not have his permission to upload the files to another site. It was then that I found out about the Permissions/Credits button for the mods on Nexus. Since I know now, I have sent a PM to every mod author whose mods I have converted, asking for permission to host their files. So far, a handful of authors told me they had no problem but then jjc71 got very defensive, demanded that I take his files down, then reported me to an Admin!

Here is the conversation so far

selyb

Subject: Couple questions about Climates of Tamriel:

For a little while now, I have been packing various mods from Nexus into Xbox360 DLC containers and releasing at first on Xbox360iso.com but now XboxChaos.com. It is only recently when I made my account here that I learned of the permissions button and I see that I have violated yours by uploading these containers to my 4Shared and Google Drive accounts. I always give due credit.

1) May I keep these unedited packed dlc files hosted or do I need to take them down?

2) If I must take them down, may I offer them on request?

jjc71

Firstly, what you are doing is illegal and secondly, in no way do I give my permission to you to upload my files under any circumstances. You must take down all of my files with immediate effect.

selyb

At your demand, I have removed all instances.

Now about your accusation: I'm pretty sure that you are wrong about it being illegal. Modifying an Xbox360 or PS3 breaks the EULA, which AFAIK is not illegal. My packing skyrim mods into DLC containers does not modify the console. Also, using the mods on consoles is not endorsed by Bethesda, also not illegal AFAIK.

This is the thread where I had released this conversion. I'm sorry to have offended you and trust that it won't happen again.

The Vampire Dante (Admin)

jjc71 is indeed correct

What you are doing is a violation of both his permissions agreement and rights. It is also a violation of the legal agreement you have with Microsoft - as they do not allow modded content in the form that PC modding takes to be used,transferred or installed on the console - if you are discovered they will disable your LIVE account, flag you so that you cannot create another and since you are distributing content as well - there is a chance they will render your console unable to operate.

"Bricked" I believe is the term - your Xbox will be nothing more than an expensive paperweight. There is the potential of a monetary fine as well - but I am unsure of the amounts involved in such instances.

So to answer your questions:

1. No you may not. Take them down as soon as possible.

2. No, as you would still be distributing illegally copied content.

The EULA - End User License Agreement - is a legally binding document. So any action that goes against it, is breaking a legal writ.

selyb

The files were taken down before my reply. I will definitely research this legality thing some more. I have been going on assumptions purely based on what other people have said. I believe both of you are doing the same.

The Vampire Dante

No. I've been involved in cases where the loss of the LIVE account and disabling of the console itself has been the end result for the offender. Either one, or both happening in those situations.

There is no legal way to do what you were doing. Microsoft does not allow it, neither does Sony. Not to mention the fact that you completely negated the permissions and wishes of the users who made the content that you took to redistribute.

That is content theft.

selyb

Please forgive me and understand that these thefts were out of ignorance and not intentional. I am trying to rectify these wrongdoings now.

Im not sure what Nexus Mods is, but im assuming it has something to do with mods for Xbox Games.

Unless he copyrighted his mod (lol) then it isnt illegal, because modding is technically illegal already.

Hes just butthurt.

Nexus Mods is an array of websites that host mods for a variety of games including all the Elder Scrolls games. skyrim.nexusmods.com has the largest selection of Skyrim mods. The Nexus Network includes

• Dark Souls Nexus
  • Dragon Age Nexus
  • Dungeon Defenders Nexus
  • Fallout 3 Nexus
  • Legend of Grimrock Nexus
  • Morrowind Nexus
  • Mount & Blade Nexus
  • Neverwinter Nexus
  • New Vegas Nexus
  • Oblivion Nexus
  • The Witcher Nexus
  • World of Tanks Nexus
  • XCOM Nexus

There is a button for permissions and credits and this author denied permission to host his files anywhere else.

Edited by selyb

Nexus and the modders are making some decent money with that site.

Fun stops when money is involved.

Dont know why you even bothered with them.

Also it would be interesting if they even have a copyright on these mods and not Bethesda Softworks.

I moved here from a huge unorganized pirating forum for several reasons including the idea that I didn't think I was doing anything even questionable. What is 'interesting' is that when I figured it out and I tried to make it right, someone went and tattled on me.

I moved here from a huge unorganized pirating forum for several reasons including the idea that I didn't think I was doing anything even questionable. What is 'interesting' is that when I figured it out and I tried to make it right, someone went and tattled on me.

Problem lies in the fact their moderators don't have a knowledge of the Xbox anyways. Selyb, I have only tried these offline on my jtag, but do these work online

Problem lies in the fact their moderators don't have a knowledge of the Xbox anyways. Selyb, I have only tried these offline on my jtag, but do these work online

I can't say for absolute sure. I have one JTAG'd box and one RGH'd box and the Live account I did have has been expired for several years now. Everything I have read says 'Don't go on Xbox Live with a JTAG/RGH xbox' and all these mods require JTAG/RGH. Also, AFAIK, Skyrim is single player and has no 'online'.

In short: Use skyrim mods on xbox and microsoft will hunt you down/ brick your system. Bologna.

really no one should be going on live with jtag/rgh (insta-ban), but if you have a dual nand (retail and rgh), the retail side will just see these DLC packages as corrupt files on NXE and can't load in-game.

Edited by cyphodeus

In short: Use skyrim mods on xbox and microsoft will hunt you down/ brick your system. Bologna.

really no one should be going on live with jtag/rgh (insta-ban), but if you have a dual nand (retail and rgh), the retail side will just see these DLC packages as corrupt files on NXE and can't load in-game.

Microsoft doesn't brick retails though.

I've been lurking at X-S and XBH since Xbox1 days. The only confirmed action I knew of even remotely close to bricking was corrupted profiles. I didn't understand wtf that admin was talking about but it was obvious that I wasn't going to win an argument.

There was alot of assumption going on in that convo. The fact is that the mod authors did state copy permissions on the release page for their mods (now I know this) and I did not respect those wishes. Using their files in violation of said permission is illegal in the same sense that modding a console is illegal. By using a console you must agree to an EULA and by modding it you are breaking the EULA. It is a civil matter. The only repercussions, e.g. for Xbox is being banned from Xbox Live. For Nexus, the repercussion is being banned from their community cluster.

Edited by selyb

I've been lurking at X-S and XBH since Xbox1 days. The only confirmed action I knew of even remotely close to bricking was corrupted profiles. I didn't understand wtf that admin was talking about but it was obvious that I wasn't going to win an argument.

There was alot of assumption going on in that convo. The fact is that the mod authors did state copy permissions on the release page for their mods (now I know this) and I did not respect those wishes. Using their files in violation of said permission is illegal in the same sense that modding a console is illegal. By using a console you must agree to an EULA and by modding it you are breaking the EULA. It is a civil matter. The only repercussions, e.g. for Xbox is being banned from Xbox Live. For Nexus, the repercussion is being banned from their community cluster.

I'm sure about 90% of their mod authors won't really care because they are modding themselves. Those who do care are probably the super Pro PC kids.

JJIJR likes this

I pmed 28 authors asking permission to rehost his/her mod(s)

To date:

6 have not read the PM

4 have denied

17 have given permission

1 has read but not replied

I'm a bit sad about that last one. 5 of the mods are his (at least partly) and I stated that I would take them down if I was not given permission to host them. These include the Unofficial Patches, Alternate Start, and Bring Out Your Dead

ridho52 likes this

lol, that admin is a smug, 1st post he already made dick statements on consoles and completely disregards the authors consents like he has more authority on the creations while he is on the PC scene. 2nd post he completely disregarded your post and make claims he is involved in some console works, wut?. What a delusional professionalism.

Edited by samsung
ridho52 likes this