Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

selyb

Modding
How To Repack Textures.bsa

37 posts in this topic

This new easy method is now possible thanks to Ethatron, a modder and a true asset tot the TES modding community. If you want to buy him a beer or sandwich, you can donate to him via Paypal.

I will take some credit for myself as well. I analyzed archives and researched and presented Ethatron with my findings. He did every bit of the programming and implementing though.

How to repack Textures.bsa

Download BSAOpt v2 or higher.

If you get an error about MSVCP110.dll missing, you need to download and install the vcredist from the shortcut provided in the download.

1) Click Game > Skyrim (Xbox 360)

post-10456-0-98600000-1355693959_thumb.j

2) Click Compression > 0 (Off)

post-10456-0-92325200-1355693987_thumb.j

3) Click the bottom browse button and choose a destination (e.g. C:\Skyrim - Textures.bsa)

post-10456-0-83083900-1355694028_thumb.j

4) Click the top browse button and choose the original Textures.bsa

post-10456-0-57333000-1355694052_thumb.j

5) In the top window navigate to the folder with vanilla textures you want to remove. If you don't know which folder to look in, you can check the recursive box in the middle of the windows.

6) In the bottom window, uncheck the vanilla textures you want removed.

For example, if you want to use the Quality map mod, you will uncheck these files:

• textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.-32.-32.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.-32.-64.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.-32.0.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.-32.32.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.-64.-32.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.-64.-64.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.-64.0.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.-64.32.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.0.-32.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.0.-64.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.0.0.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.0.32.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.32.-32.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.32.-64.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.32.0.ddx
  • textures|terrain|tamriel|tamriel.32.32.32.ddx

7) Click Convert

post-10456-0-44732200-1355694323_thumb.j

Edited by selyb

I only wish there was a way to repack archives with free software. BSAOpt can pack new archives but not in Xbox360 format. The 360 will not use a non-Xbox360 bsa. I tried :(

I've discovered the differences between a regular BSA and an Xbox360 BSA. I've contacted Ethatron and hopefully we can get this integrated into BSAOpt. If he won't help then I'll have to do it myself. Either way it will get done soon.

Thanks just what I was looking for, I had asked you about this the other day on another site, thanks for taking the time in doing this.

Regards

The same method can be used for any bsa. I don't know why you would want to repack Meshes though. If you have a mod that replaces a mesh, Skyrim will use the new one. The only reason this doesn't work for textures is because Skyrim for Xbox360 and PS3 look for DDX files before DDS.

So should I just put the Meshes for a mod in the data folder? i.e. Data/Meshes/? I'll explain a bit better, I want to try a mod that has both textures and meshes. The texture side's no problem thanks to your tut, but I tried the same with the meshes (i.e. unpacking and repacking) but I get fatal crash as soon as the game tries to load a saved game. Also there's another file that I'm not sure where I should place i.e. 425307E600000012 (it the wet mod incase your wondering).

Sorry for being a complete noob

Thanks again

It is definitely possible to successfully repack Meshes.bsa. I play mine uncompressed currently. If you used FOMM or an old version of BSAOpt to extract then your files were corrupted. BSAOpt v1.6.2 and higher is the only app that can correctly extract Meshes.bsa and Animations.bsa.

Aside from that, like I said, I don't see any reason you should need to repack Meshes.bsa because if you put replacement meshes in the Skyrim data folder, they will be used instead of the original. The 425307E600000012 file is evidence that this is a mod you downloaded that has already been converted to Xbox360. That is a DLC container that goes onto your Xbox360 HDD or other memory device in the Content folder. Have you read through my mod install tutorial? It is supposed to be n00b friendly so if something isn't obvious, please let me know and I'll try to make it easier to understand.

Thanks, yep your right, just had a reread of the install tut, and that's cleared things up, I thought the 42xxxx file was for people with the disc/GOD version of the game, and people running jtag should only use the loose files, I got a little mixed up because at first all I wanted was to repack the textures with some better ones, and then I saw a few interesting mods and thought I'd give them a go. So do you notice any lag/slow down by using the Meshes.bsa uncompressed, do you recommend I try this too?

Thanks again for all your help. Going to give it another go!

cheers

P.S. I'm using BASOpt v1.6.3

I haven't noticed anything significant enough to recommend one way or the other. I made several changes together and my system *seems* to lag less, but it may be a placebo effect or one of the other factors. I have a Jasper with 512MB Internal MU. I have Skyrim installed on a 8GB USB flash drive and I install some mods (including DG and HF) on the Internal MU. Then I have the rest of my mods on the Internal HDD. 1 in every 5 times I boot the game, I get fatal crash. I don't know if this is because of the mods or because of the changes I made to the game files.

Foom no work for repack textures for unpack yes but in repack no work for format is diferent only work using the CK (creation kit )For skyrim not corrupt the bsa is my experiencie personal

FOMM corrupts the files when you extract from "Skyrim - Textures.bsa" Only BSAOpt 1.6.3+ can extract them correctly. Currently archive.exe from the CK is the only program that can create Xbox360 bsa archives.

Repack

1) Open archive.exe

2) Always check the Xbox360 Archive option. I've never noticed a difference when choosing additional options.

3) From the textures folder on your desktop, drag the Data folder onto the Archive.exe window. (This takes a while for large archives like this one.)

on step 3..inside the data folder should there only be the textures folder? like this ....desktop/textures/data/textures ...reason I'm asking is because the textures.bsa file is still there that I extracted...do i remove this before repacking?

the textures.bsa file is still there that I extracted...do i remove this before repacking?

it depends on how you add the files to archive.exe tongue.gif

If you are looking inside the data folder and you drag the textures folder onto archive.exe then only the textures folder is added. If you drag the data folder or browse and add the data folder, then everything in the data folder gets added including that old textures.bsa. You do not want to add the old textures.bsa tongue.gif

Edited by selyb

LOL thats what I figured and went ahead and did it without the old one...I just didnt want to screw it up is all lol...thanks selyb..your always fast with replies...I like that! :)

It won't stay this way. I'm currently not working and have had wayyyyyy too much time for modding skyrim tongue.gif

Edited by selyb

lmao...yea i'm not working at the moment either...too much time on my hands as well...I spend so much time with mods that my days fly by and I forget what day it is lol...the wife's always yellin at me lol...thanks for all the help selyb!

Edited by Xecuter

I was looking into this mod http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/667

I followed you tutorial, in this case I extracted the "Interface.bsa" replaced the files and tested

well the new inventory showed up, i mean i can drop the items, but i can't interact with them or move the arrow, the game does not freeze i can press the start button but cannot exit the inventory...

I was hoping if you could tell me if there any way to make this mod work, or not, since is a SWF extension.

Edited by Laet

That is a mod made for better PC usablity so the interface/inventory is better to use with a keyboard and mouse like SkyUI why would you want to use it for the console on a controller?

Laet likes this

You do not need to repack interface.bsa. We have to unpack/repack textures.bsa because we can't create ddx textures and the game will not use dds before ddx. For anything in interface.bsa or anything besides textures, we just put the replacement files into the data folder or into a new bsa and new DLC file.

GriHaci and Laet like this

Ok thanks for you replies :smile:

@CptKlink This inventory have some additional functions like sort the items by weight damage armor

Besides both SkyUI and QD Inventory have support to the XBOX360 controller, and i want to test and see if works lol.

@selyb I did not know that, i will test again later, i don't expect to work either way, but you never know^^^^

Edited by Laet

Is your skyrim using the lastest TU? The modder states that it might be a problem with that (i believe the current one is #9). Might be worth checking

"Important:

There seems to be a problem with using the non updated Version of Skyrim with this mod, namely your Inventory menu becoming unusable. That doesn't mean that you need to update, some can use it without updating, but it might be a solution. If it still doesn't work after updating please comment and let me know about it."

looking forward for your results!

Edited by pcaquercia

@pcaquercia yes i am using tu9 but I can't get it QD Inventory to work they simply do not appear to be compatible with the xbox

The funny thing is SkyUI is working, I have not tried it before because it needs SKSE and I thought it would not work since xbox do not support this, but i just tested and Seems to be working properly, i can view all the items weight armor etc at the same time besides i can quickly switch betwen inventories (Chest/follower) just using the Back button the layout is good too , the only downside is can't direct equip a item from the favorites menu, i can bring they up but the LT/RT doesn't work, but the D pad Left and right shortcut is working.

I will stick with this for some time, if i find any serious bug, i will come back

Edited by Laet