Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Lord Zedd

.MAP
Adding A Custom Load Screen

29 posts in this topic

Something recently figured out was how the load screen models were stored/used. It uses a voxel format made up of thousands of single XYZ points that when put together create your model. Think Minecraft.

So to pull this off yourself you'll want the following:

Assembly
Your model in .OBJ or .DXF format. (This tutorial will only point out the correct orientation for export in, nothing else)
This site for the conversion because it can export to a simple xml format that is easy to "translate" for H4 usage.
A map(s) you wish to put the new model into. BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL. This tutorial will use mainmenu.map.

**The Main Menu's load screens (Cryptum for Campaign, UNSC Logo for Everything Else) handle the transition TO another map and not FROM. The model shown when going BACK to the Main Menu is read from the current individual map, and is always the UNSC Logo.**

So first off you want to create/get your new model and open it in your preferred editor. I'm using a big Lord Zedd Z symbol.
ldsctut1.jpg

To orient the model correctly, you want the top of the model facing you from the front, and the face of the model pointing to the left from the front. Here is my "Z" oriented correctly and illustrated:
ldsctut2.jpg

It may also be helpful to enlarge your model 200-300% depending on the original size, though you'll be able to zoom in at the end when you are tweaking the LDSC meta.

Once you are happy with your model's size and orientation, export the model as .OBJ or .DXF (I'm using .OBJ) then head to that conversion site.

Click the Load File button and select your model. By default the site uses a rather low density, so crank the density slider up.

Click the Options button and change "Export File As:" to .XML. Click Done.

Now click Save File and pay attention to the first line under the progress bar named Voxels and here is why:

1. You'll need that number for later so write it down.
2. You need to check the number against the following. If your model contains more Voxels than one of these you'll have to turn the density down for now until meta page injection is set up for Halo 4:
Cryptum: 44,385 voxels
UNSC Logo: 38,768
If your model is less than 38,768 voxels it can replace either load screen, if between 38,768 and 44,385 it can only replace the cryptum screen. But don't worry if that is the case, as you can swap the offsets later if needed.

With that out of the way, hit the Save button in the dialog box and save your voxel model. Remember to keep the xml extension and to note the voxel count.

With the model ready, we must "translate" that xml file to a list of floats to easily paste into the .map. Open Assembly and go to TOOLS>Halo 4 Tools>Voxel Converter to bring up the page. Put your .xml file into the input box and click the Convert Voxel Data button. In a few seconds, you should get this success dialog:
ldsctut3.jpg

For safe keeping, lets save that output to a file. Open up your hex editor of choice and create a new file. Copy the output hex and paste it into the editor and save. Now you have a file with the raw float in case you ever want to add it to other maps or start over without all the conversion mess. You should include the voxel count in the filename while you are at it.
ldsctut4.jpg

Time to add the model to the map. Open your map and navigate to the LDSC tag you are replacing. Scroll down to the Voxel Points reflexive and Right Click>View Value As... on the first X value in chunk 0. A dialog box will appear, and at the top of it is the Meta Offset for that value, which is where we shall be pasting out new model into. Copy it and close the map for now.
ldsctut5.jpg

Open the map in a hex editor and jump to the offset you just got. Then open the file you saved containing Assembly's conversion and select everything, note the size of the selection.
ldsctut6.jpg

Go back to the map and select a block equal to what you just copied and then paste, save, and exit your Hex Editor. Your model is now injected! Time for cleanup.
ldsctut7.jpg

Go back to Assembly and reopen the map. Navigate to your LDSC tag. Expand the Voxel Point reflexive's information and paste your new voxel count to both the Total Voxel Count and the Count Fields (Outlined in red, new value already in.) and Save Changes.
ldsctut8.jpg

All done! Copy the map to your Xbox and load something. You should see your hard work:
2013-02-1403-21-22.jpg

More than likely however it is going to look a tad small like the above pic (UNSC Logo as a base). To fix change "Zoom Out Amount" to around 20. It will look much better:
2013-02-1403-23-25.png

From this point just poke and experiment with the values, saving whatever looks best. Protip: try different Style values! wink.png

Addendum: Colors and Map-Specific Loading

A week or so after I wrote this tutorial I learned a few new things about Load Screens. Now that Assembly is out and I just released updated plugins that support these new things, I believe it's time to add to this tutorial a bit.

First, You can set the global Load Screen in RASG, in addition to a color! (Kinda)

ldsctutupdate1.jpg

The LDSC reference is obvious, but the color needs an explanation;

I am unsure of how exactly the value works as it's not a standard color field of any sort, so the best I can do is paste this basic list of colors that appear at .1 increments. If you have any further info by all means let me know. Apologies for the vagueness in this list.

0 blue
.1 blue
.2 blue
.3 more gold
.4 gold
.5 lime
.6 green
.7 greener
.8 red
.9 red
1 red

Second, is that the LDSC reflexive at the bottom of SCNR is actually used for campaign to assign the Cryptum screen. It assigns via map ID and can easily be changed to any map and screen you choose. There is also a color setting here. Refer to the above.

ldsctutupdate2.jpg

Happy Modding!

I like orange, myself. It's almost like giving us choices was a good thing wink.png

Edited by MBP

so this is some what injection in to a .map?

and great tut i was wondering what the Voxel converter was in assembly

Amazing~!!!!

for some reason I cant compile the assembly sorce code and the alpha version im using dosent have a tools section =(

I alredy got a halo model and sn model redy to try out in xml format.

anyway so my count ended up 6107 that seams very small I ended up with just a few boxes on the screen my model is a sniper rifle.

it seams like the model is way to large in 3dsmax and way to low vox.

I am wondering could you do this backwards and convert the unsc logo in to a obj file or some type of useable model?

I would think that with that offset you could make a plugin that would alow you to inject right on to the right spot and input the correct info?

mb possible?

192168299image2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this is what im working on

Edited by AMD

dam that's exactly what I wanted to do but I I did'nt have a modle like that. can you share your modle? I wana try and add some swards on there =)

Edited by jackrabbit72380

dam that's exactly what I wanted to do but I I did'nt have a modle like that. can you share your modle? I wana try and add some swards on there =)

thats actually the safe zone in halo reach. Did you want the 3ds max file? Or the already converted file?(ready to be put in to the .map file)

Also if you need the sword models I can get you those too.(I'm not sure if you know how to extract models)

I am wondering could you do this backwards and convert the unsc logo in to a obj file or some type of useable model

The assembly tool doesn't let you convert from the halo format to .xml so as of now no. Not to mention you would end up with a weird model because if the whole voxel thing.

can you do the deth barrier? or maby the odd ball? those would be cool! what was your voxel count on the safe zone?

can you do the deth barrier? or maby the odd ball? those would be cool! what was your voxel count on the safe zone?

yeah I guess I could. The reach logo was 33,711 vowels

if I could get the model in to 3ds max and it had extra stuff on it I could simply remove it and as for it being weard voxelized im pretty sure I could un voxleize it in 3ds max.

if I could get the model in to 3ds max and it had extra stuff on it I could simply remove it and as for it being weard voxelized im pretty sure I could un voxleize it in 3ds max.

There is no way to "un-voxel" something, it's just a bunch of cubes.

There is no way to "un-voxel" something, it's just a bunch of cubes.

Actually if you treat the data as a point cloud and not a set of voxels, then there are several algorithms which you could theoretically employ to approximate the original geometry of the model. I'm not sure if any 3D modelling programs have a feature like this built in though and either way it would still only be an approximation.

Actually if you treat the data as a point cloud and not a set of voxels, then there are several algorithms which you could theoretically employ to approximate the original geometry of the model. I'm not sure if any 3D modelling programs have a feature like this built in though and either way it would still only be an approximation.

meh, not worth a UNSC logo

Fierce Waffle likes this

Yeah actually the cubes are made up of triangles all models and mesh is. there are so many  methods its crazy I have been modeling for almost 10 years now. I can Actually use a 2d bitmap as a Hight map and make a model shape out of that.

Anyway I still want to know the start and endpoints of the UNSC logo because I think I could not only make it 100x better but also add to it. I was just watching the new majestic vidoc and they are using that UNSC logo with a spear around it like its being projected from a table I was thinking what if I inported the Whole scene sort of like the loading screen what's in side the forward until dawn.

Anyway I thought that would be cool.

I don't even think the UNSC logo was done very well because you can see they left a square under it witch was the frame. Hell every model on hear we have done so far looks smoother.

Also like to know if its possible to change the colors of the voxels. In game I mean. I'm thinking its in some random place as rrggb format.?

I saw pictures in the other thread whare you changed the voxel color how do you do that?

I saw pictures in the other thread whare you changed the voxel color how do you do that?

Added.

okay info on colors!

FF is alpha black! the first 2 numbers are "red" value in hex a-f and 0-255

the second set of numbers is "green" value in hex a-f and 0-255

the 3ed set of numbers is "blue" a-f and 0-255

I do not recommend changing the FF at all so FF[00=red-value][00=green-value][00=blue-value]

you cant not use 3 digys that is where the letters a-f come in handy.

If you made the first FF AA Instead that would make every other value clear.

so FF000000 should be white. &...

you should be able to use any color from this chart

Silverlight  Color Structure

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.media.color(v=VS.95).aspx

That's what it looks like to me anyway.

Id love to be able to import the voxels back in to max for even more editing once converted but I cant seam to find a proper voxel importer plugin or script for 3dsmax. 

okay info on colors!

FF is alpha black! the first 2 numbers are "red" value in hex a-f and 0-255

the second set of numbers is "green" value in hex a-f and 0-255

the 3ed set of numbers is "blue" a-f and 0-255

I do not recommend changing the FF at all so FF[00=red-value][00=green-value][00=blue-value]

you cant not use 3 digys that is where the letters a-f come in handy.

If you made the first FF AA Instead that would make every other value clear.

so FF000000 should be white. &...

you should be able to use any color from this chart

Silverlight  Color Structure

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.media.color(v=VS.95).aspx

That's what it looks like to me anyway.

Id love to be able to import the voxels back in to max for even more editing once converted but I cant seam to find a proper voxel importer plugin or script for 3dsmax. 

If it were simply ARGB like that I wouldn't be asking about it.

It's not.

Could it be that it has it's own Color Structure Library but like ARGB?

anyone have voxels.model of unsc logo?

anyway to make a gif image out of one of these?

Edited by Matt

anyway to make a gif image out of one of these?

Use a capture card.