Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

AMD

Other
Assembly - Blam Research Tool

127 posts in this topic

Can this be used to extract assets?

Or at least view the tag structure of .map files?

The latter now, the former later.

Cool.

So how do I work this, do I just open up a .map file with it?

Pretty much.

Looks cool, are any other programs needed along with this to start modding? If so, where can I find them?

I'm a complete newbie to this, but I'm anxious to start modding and see what I can do. I've been looking around the forums and getting a general idea, but any help at all would be very much appreciated.

Looks cool, are any other programs needed along with this to start modding? If so, where can I find them?

I'm a complete newbie to this, but I'm anxious to start modding and see what I can do. I've been looking around the forums and getting a general idea, but any help at all would be very much appreciated.

You need modded hardware like a jtag or rgh. Or a devkit

Can't wait to try this, need a new Xbox first though.

you need a Jtag,RGH or Devkit Xbox though not just a retail xbox

I'd really like to play around with this app so I can get a feel for how it works. At the moment my primary concern is advancing my Halo PC modding tool, but I might even be able to contribute Halo PC/CE modding back once I'm familiar with how the system works.

Unfortunately I don't own an Xbox 360. I only have Halo PC, Halo CE, and Halo 2 for an unmodded original Xbox.

Can anyone recommend a way for me to play around with Assembly? Without a map to open all I can do is stare at the start screen.

Add halo 1 support ;) For basic support that shouldn't be too hard, just look how second generation titles are loaded.

Lol, well that's the goal but it's somewhat of a chicken and egg problem since I don't know much about Assembly other than the start screen and the preview images in the introductory forum post. Do you guys have documentation somewhere? And/or can you point me to where in the code that H2 maps are loaded? I have literally no clue what your architecture is like.

Lol, well that's the goal but it's somewhat of a chicken and egg problem since I don't know much about Assembly other than the start screen and the preview images in the introductory forum post. Do you guys have documentation somewhere? And/or can you point me to where in the code that H2 maps are loaded? I have literally no clue what your architecture is like.

Documentation is a bit lacking to be honest. I've been writing up some stuff on how our architecture works but it isn't done yet. You might want to wait a bit.

Also if you know how to search correctly, you can get the map files for 3rd-gen games off the internet somewhere.

WaeV likes this

Blamite/Plugins - Do ascension / assembly Plugins apply to all versions of Halo, or only specific ones?

Blamite/Blam - I see second / third gen is split here. To implement H1 I would need to subclass ICacheFile?

Blamite/Formats - Xml layout of the cache files? I'm guessing "header" correlates to what I called "MapHeader", and "meta header" correlates with my "IndexHeader"? Afaik the meta section of a map has no header, but the tag index does.

I've noticed some references to process memory streams. Is this used for Xbox titles or PC titles, or both?

Blamite/Plugins - Do ascension / assembly Plugins apply to all versions of Halo, or only specific ones?

Blamite/Blam - I see second / third gen is split here. To implement H1 I would need to subclass ICacheFile?

Blamite/Formats - Xml layout of the cache files? I'm guessing "header" correlates to what I called "MapHeader", and "meta header" correlates with my "IndexHeader"? Afaik the meta section of a map has no header, but the tag index does.

I've noticed some references to process memory streams. Is this used for Xbox titles or PC titles, or both?

1) Every version of halo has it's own plugin sets (Look in Assembly/Plugins)

2) Ye

3) Pretty much, I think. Thought I'd ask amd to verify that quick.

4) PC titles, Xbox titles use XBDMCommunicator to connect to xbdm (the dev kit's network debugging shizzle).

1) Every version of halo has it's own plugin sets (Look in Assembly/Plugins)

Oh, so all of those are in Assembly format? What is Ascension?

4) PC titles, Xbox titles use XBDMCommunicator to connect to xbdm (the dev kit's network debugging shizzle).

Neat, so you guys already have memory modding then.

They are all in plugin folders that assembly looks for and finds

and the plugins are in xml 

example:<plugin game="Halo3">

is For a Halo 3 Plugin In Assembly

never mind i didnt fully read Waev question but Ascension is in .asc which is like XML but its a custom XML instead of .xml its .asc

Edited by bfixer117

Ascention was another modding tool that was used before assembly, we include a converter. Once you get halo 1 maps loading with custom formats/ICacheFile the plugin generator will be able to generate plugins. And with a few edits, you'll be able to convert Halo 1 plugins.

ye, Halo 2 Vista.
AltSierra117 likes this

Ascension was a Halo Reach tool made by DeToX and some other guys. Some of his work was simply converted to Assembly's plugin structure, since every program uses a slightly different plugin storage type.

There is also backwards compatibility with some Ascension patches, so you can apply those too.

I've been using HMT-style plugins, but they're absolutely horrendous. A nice first stab at a plugin format, but not quite up to par. I don't think it handles recursive structs, for instance. And even the common cases are a tad unwieldy.

I was thinking of implementing Entity-style plugin support. As far as I knew, that was the only newer plugin format that existed. I think Entity was a Mac modding program? In any case, it's what Eschaton used (which is why I know of the format). I'll probably go with Assembly-style now, though.

I wish GitHub had existed back in the days when all of this modding was getting started. The scene seems to spread out these days! I haven't heard of half of these modding programs in the little pocket of the modding community that I frequent.

I really like the "revisions" feature of the Assembly format when I gave it a brief overview.

Edited by WaeV

Documentation is a bit lacking to be honest. I've been writing up some stuff on how our architecture works but it isn't done yet. You might want to wait a bit.

You should make the documentation part of the codebase!  One thing I really like about GitHub is the built-in markdown rendering. Any file named "readme.md" in a folder gets rendered as documentation. See https://github.com/ChadSki/Quickbeam/tree/master/src for an example of what I've done with that feature.

Another advantage of doing documentation as part of the codebase is that it stays more in sync. If you go back to an earlier revision, so does the documentation.

As I learn more about this project I'd be glad to help flesh out the docs.

You should make the documentation part of the codebase!  One thing I really like about GitHub is the built-in markdown rendering. Any file named "readme.md" in a folder gets rendered as documentation. See https://github.com/ChadSki/Quickbeam/tree/master/src for an example of what I've done with that feature.

Another advantage of doing documentation as part of the codebase is that it stays more in sync. If you go back to an earlier revision, so does the documentation.

As I learn more about this project I'd be glad to help flesh out the docs.

Well, I was planning on using the Wiki instead, because then it can be edited by anyone and not just the developers. Good idea though - I'll think about it.

Well, I was planning on using the Wiki instead, because then it can be edited by anyone and not just the developers. Good idea though - I'll think about it.

Ooh, a wiki is good, too.

Perhaps the best of both worlds -- Use the wiki for documentation on general usage, and use markdown documentation directly on GitHub for explaining the codebase.

Technically both are still editable by anyone, since you can always submit a pull request against the GitHub repo. While that's a bit beyond the average user (heck, it took me a while to learn git), anyone who knows enough about the codebase to be able to improve the documentation shouldn't have a problem with it.

Edited by WaeV