Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

vonkova

Community Dashboard Research. Xdk/rgh/jtag.

31 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Recently, a few mates and I decided to start on a small project. This project is to basically customize the xbox dashboard. Some of you might wonder why we would even consider this. Well its simple really, a lot of people spend most of there time on the dashboard than they do on xshell or any other launchers that are not set to launch upon exit of games ect or simply do not like to use FSD. (like myself)  I am a person who enjoys making themes, I find it interesting to completely rework the image of something to your own. So if there is anyone else who is the same as me and would like to assist. That would be awesome.

This thread will be dedicated to research or anyform of information gathered or given to help move this project along. Below will have a list of things that will need to be found as this project has just begun.

Things to find/do;

• Find the guide xex.(Which one is the default guide as there are multiple. Ex: Guide.friends.xex, Guide.messages.xex ect.   The xex is Hud.xex
  • Find the font color on each xex.
  • Find the resource file that contains the scheme for the actual dashboard/guide. (I have a feeling it may be the Dashboard.xbx but im not certain.)
  • Figure out how to extract/inject the Resource file.

I am currently working on the font color atm, Some progress have been made but nothing concrete just yet. Keep in mind, this project will only benefit those who own a XDK, RGH or Jtag. This project will not support retails.

Anyhelp on this would be amazing and would benefit the community further. (Sure its nothing major or can be used to exploit gameplay, but its something that would be great to see, and see what the community could share/make for others.)

The soul purpose of this project is to bring the community closer and work on something that is pretty neat. 

Will be looking forward to seeing any participants. :biggrin:

Edited by vonkova
Nate the Great and drahcir like this

Awesome I would be happy to help and see what i can do to contribute. If i find out anything I will let you know or post it here in this thread.

vonkova likes this

Awesome, :D Ill post my findings as well here. Ill work on some tonight. First thing on my list is the font color.

Guide stuff is indeed in hud.xex. Some higher level (xam-related) guide functions seem to lie in huduiskin.xex (such as dirty disk error). Scheme for guide is in hud.xex as GuideMain.xur. Scheme for dash is spread across a million different XZPs, it seems. dashuisk.bin/skin.xur may be of importance though.

These resources can be repacked into the xex with xextool (I think), or imagexex.exe (in a nightmare situation).

Anyone know what we can do to get these XURs open in xuitool? They seem to be some nonstandard type. Once we have that done, stuff will be wide open and ready to hack.

The dash also uses lots of lua, but I'm not sure how useful how that'd be to mess with.

Headers of system .xur files seem to include more data than those of .xur files from other locations.

Edited by ShadeTH
bfixer117 and vonkova like this

Guide stuff is indeed in hud.xex. Some higher level (xam-related) guide functions seem to lie in huduiskin.xex (such as dirty disk error). Scheme for guide is in hud.xex as GuideMain.xur. Scheme for dash is spread across a million different XZPs, it seems. dashuisk.bin/skin.xur may be of importance though.

These resources can be repacked into the xex with xextool (I think), or imagexex.exe (in a nightmare situation).

Anyone know what we can do to get these XURs open in xuitool? They seem to be some nonstandard type. Once we have that done, stuff will be wide open and ready to hack.

The dash also uses lots of lua, but I'm not sure how useful how that'd be to mess with.

Headers of system .xur files seem to include more data than those of .xur files from other locations.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Ill mess around with the xur's and see what I come up with. As for lua's, Im pretty familiar with it so I can look around those as well and see what can be done with those that can be benefited. Ill post my findings here once I gather something. Keep up the good work :D

Well the .xur format is a binary compiled .xui. So it will not be easy to revert. But if you have .xzp then that is just a package of .xui's so that can be used easily. I will see what I can do about .xurs and if I can decompile them back to xui's

Ok It seems I can open .xurs. If someone can send me the dash's xurs or .xzps or tell me how to get them then I think I can edit them or at least learn how and spread the word.

Well the .xur format is a binary compiled .xui. So it will not be easy to revert. But if you have .xzp then that is just a package of .xui's so that can be used easily. I will see what I can do about .xurs and if I can decompile them back to xui's

Ok It seems I can open .xurs. If someone can send me the dash's xurs or .xzps or tell me how to get them then I think I can edit them or at least learn how and spread the word.

I literally have no idea where or how to come by them. If you do please let me know.

I literally have no idea where or how to come by them. If you do please let me know.

well if you use XUI tool when you save it can save the layout a .xui or binary with is .xur and .xzp is what free style dash uses to load custom dash's and the .xzp's have all the .xui documents saved in the .xzp with is like a .zip of xbox, i found most of this out last night when i was messing around with freestyle dash to get a little more familiar

Xuitool will take xur files normally. It can even save them as xui again. Our problem is that system xurs won't be taken by Xuitool as is. 

well if you use XUI tool when you save it can save the layout a .xui or binary with is .xur and .xzp is what free style dash uses to load custom dash's and the .xzp's have all the .xui documents saved in the .xzp with is like a .zip of xbox, i found most of this out last night when i was messing around with freestyle dash to get a little more familiar

Yea, I know that much already from messing with FSD back in the day. But thats for the info it helps.

I might be able to do something as well.

Awesome :biggrin:. Glad to see people actually getting an interest in this!!!

Thread update:

I have some progress with the font color. It appears that with the guide in Hud.xex, if you modify the font color it does not revert back to default when highlighted like it does in Xshell.

Here is a snap shot of what I got so far.

t6lAI5n.png

Update:

Managed to find more font.

Here are some pics. 

Lrfs7Xr.png

CyZWVUA.png

Edited by vonkova

You can also change text, but that's probably old news...

Yes, the actual font is simple. All you do is just replace the font package with a custom one. Done deal lol.

The difference in 'system' XURs seems to be some number of bytes added at 0x14. Not sure what this data is, anyone else have a clue?

Can you tell me how you get the system Xurs? i would like to take a  look at them also and see if I can get them to load.

xextool -d folder dash.xex

unpacks to a bunch of .XZPs without extensions (and one gpd, FFFE07D1). Extract these with your tool of choice (I use XZP-Tool 2.0) and you'll have lots of XURs (layouts), PNGs (images, duh), XUSs (strings), and XMAs (audio).

A correction: XUR files which won't load are in fact NOT system files. They apparently require the correct skin XUR/XUI to be loaded before they themselves will load. Finding the proper skin file in all of these XURs seems like it could be a nightmare, though.

EDIT:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/593tf4bcl52r3rs/xur.rar

Dug back into the depths of time and found someone who successfully converted an incompatible (oxE at 0xD) to a compatible (0xC at 0xD) format.

Might make a tool to handle this eventually, but I don't really have time until I'm done with school and the ACT on Saturday. If anyone wants to take a whack at it, have fun. 

Edited by ShadeTH

I'm assuming this research came to shift back in 2013, these were probably some of the only people to manage to get this working :/

any possible help to get this setup as well?

image.png

image.png

23 hours ago, thieves said:

I'm assuming this research came to shift back in 2013, these were probably some of the only people to manage to get this working :/

any possible help to get this setup as well?

Is the second image yours or just video screen grab like the first?

23 hours ago, Lehvak said:

Is the second image yours or just video screen grab like the first?

As I stated in my post "these are some of the only people to manage to get this working" so no they are not 'mine' I've achieved the text below the guide but not the way NiNJA & Teapot have, I'm looking for help to get this to load through my xzp :P