Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Thunder

Gametype
Territories

34 posts in this topic

UPDATED 6/20/2016: Gametype Link has been fixed!

Hello everyone.  It's about time that I release this gametype.  This version was actually finalized on March 27th but has not been released until now.  The reason for the delay was health issues unfortunately.  Medication I was taking to prevent infection after having wisdom teeth pulled caused extreme inflammation of my stomach hindering my ability to do anything.  I am still not close to 100% yet but am getting better every day.

Now that I have explained that, I would like to talk a bit about how this territories is designed.  This territories is designed to mimic the Halo 3 style of Territories.  This means asymmetric sides changing after every round.  Two teams battle to defend or capture certain territory sites all over the map.  Points are then awarded for captures and captures only.  I also took the time to make respawns not have the Halo 4 spawn faster system.  Instead, everything is a standard 10 second objective spawn.  You can even disable sprint if you feel like it.  I also have preset classes defined instead of using personal loadouts.  These classes are stripped down to the basic weapons and have no added abilities besides frag grenades.

Let's talk a bit about the available options in territories.

Hill Capture Time:  How long it takes for the attackers to capture an enemy territory

Overtime Length: Determines the duration of overtime.  This is activated when at the end of the round and one of the territories has a timer that isn't the total capture time.

Sprint: Simply enable or disable sprinting.

Vehicle Capture: Allow the attackers and defenders to influence the territories from within a vehicle or not.

There are also some trait sets:

Defender Traits: Traits that are applied to a defender in a territory

Attacker Traits: Traits that are applied to an attacker in a territory

Before I talk about some of the other menu options, I want to talk about the forge labels.

tr_hill: Marks hills for territories.  Team designation is not important.  Be sure to make each territory have a separate spawn sequence from eachother.  The spawn sequence controls the letters in game.

tr_hide: Anything with this label hides the object from view but it still has collision.

tr_door: Object gets deleted upon hill capture.  Linked up to hill via a matching spawn sequence between the objects.

I have added some support for dominion functionality as well.  I will first talk about the labels.

dom_turret:  Place on any auto turret that you want automatically built at the fortification interval.  Switches teams upon territory capture.  Make sure to match the turret via spawn sequence to the hill.  You may want to set the team of this object to defenders to begin with.

dom_other: Place any other dominion object and add this label to it.  Match it to the appropriate hill using the spawn sequence.  The same teams warning as dom_turret applies.

The labels can be combined with other lables too.  For instance, combining dom_other and tr_door will have a dominion object work and then be deleted upon capture.

There are also dominion options in the gametype.

Fortify Timer: Controls how often the dominion objects are refortified.  This continues regardless of who owns the territory.

Initital Fortification: Tells the game whether or not to fortify bases immediately or wait until the first interval to cycle.

Some other nice bells and whistles are in this gametype too.  For example, use a flag stand for the territories because a flag will spawn at every territory regardless.  The flag also changes team color upon capture.  Another nice thing I added is "Hill Offense" and "Hill Defense" medals.  These are also shown at the end of the game as a custom statistic.  The back menu for the score also shows the total time you have been in the territories for the match.  Finally, I also found and added the sounds from territories in Halo: Reach to my gametype.

For your convience I have a link to the gametype as well as a sample map that plays really well.  Hope you enjoy!

Credits

AMD, Matt, and Korn for putting up with my dumb questions

Myself for writing the gametype

AbandonedCashew, Testing and help with forge

XBL People who playtested my original crap

Map: New Link to Byome by Cashew

NEW LINK FOR GAMETYPE! CLICK HERE

^You may have to replace the "RedSkullKing" with your own gamertag

Nice to hear you're better now.

I wouldn't call myself better quite yet. I actually had a camera put down into me to figure out exactly what's wrong. Fortunately it's nothing serious. It can take a month to heal completely though.  Have any questions or suggestions for the gametype?

Thunder, just because I feel it's needed, I have a couple suggestions for you:

-Add in a 4th Statistic for "Captures". It just feels more complete knowing who not only stood in the hills for what amount of time, but who was able to finalize captured territories. 

-Assign a point value for people who capture a territory. I'd like to say assign the "Flag Captured" medal and adjust the point value to 50 points.
-Any teammates that controlled a territory that DON'T get the Capture, and your team does without the enemy touching it or the timer getting back to it's max, should all get a "Capture Assist" medal. (If I die holding a hill for 13 seconds and a teammate goes in 2 seconds later, captures it in 5 seconds, he gets a Capture, and I get a Capture Assist).
-I was only able to test solo, but when I did, all the flags appeared as Red (I was Blue). I'm unsure if it does this when multiple teams are active, but if so, the flags should spawn as gray (neutral).

Other than that, I didn't find any issues. I couldn't really find any other things that could be added without making it too weird, either. Just a couple small things.

Gabotron ES and Thunder like this

It wasn't really designed with solo play in mind.  I never bothered to test it.  As for Capture and Capture assist, those things should be possible.

I understand that. I was simply stating I was solo and all the flags were Red. I was just unsure if this is the same as when playing out a match with 2 teams or not in case it was an issue with assigning colors properly or not, because they should be colored gray by default.

I found 2 bugs I think in Territories.  I will try to reproduce and fix them today.  If all goes well, they should be released in a new version 1.01 today.

As for Plots support, don't we already have that with Dominion?

So, in other words, this is 2 game-types in one, right? Where you can set this game-type up to have it so people are fighting for just one territory with vehicle's and etc? I hope so, then I'll build a fun map with it. :)

So, in other words, this is 2 game-types in one, right? Where you can set this game-type up to have it so people are fighting for just one territory with vehicle's and etc? I hope so, then I'll build a fun map with it. :smile:

It doesn't have a "neutral" territory option, yet.

Cosmic lightning likes this

Is it possible with the current version/forge labels to make two or more hills run on the same timer and capture at the same time?

Like two Alpha's that both run on the same timer and will both be captured when one is?

Yes you could do that, global timers could control however many hills you wanted, displaying the time remaining might be tricky though.

Yes you could do that, global timers could control however many hills you wanted, displaying the time remaining might be tricky though.

The current version won't function that way.

Is it possible with the current version/forge labels to make two or more hills run on the same timer and capture at the same time?

Like two Alpha's that both run on the same timer and will both be captured when one is?

heh, at that point you have Invasion territories :P

heh, at that point you have Invasion territories :P

Pffft done a long time ago ;D

Actually though invasions territories are independent of each other, but the similarity is capturing one captures both, yes.

The current version won't function that way.

I'm sure I could make it happen... Edited by AbandonedCashew
Thunder likes this

Pffft done a long time ago ;D

Actually though invasions territories are independent of each other, but the similarity is capturing one captures both, yes.

I'm sure I could make it happen...

I could do it too.  I just don't think I will have the time soon.  I did fix those two bugs.  I put together a new version and play tested it a bit.  Once I get a bit more testing in, I'll release that updated version (1.0.1)

I could do it too.  I just don't think I will have the time soon.  I did fix those two bugs.  I put together a new version and play tested it a bit.  Once I get a bit more testing in, I'll release that updated version (1.0.1)

Please say with nuetral territory option & vehicle scale. I so have a fun map idea requiring a scoring system, small vehicles, and one hill/territory to fight over. ;)

Please say with nuetral territory option & vehicle scale. I so have a fun map idea requiring a scoring system, small vehicles, and one hill/territory to fight over. ;)

That will be in a 1.1.0 more likely.  The way I do my versioning is any 3rd number increments are bug fix releases.  Second number increments are updates that add features.  An update of the first number would basically be a complete rewrite.

That will be in a 1.1.0 more likely.  The way I do my versioning is any 3rd number increments are bug fix releases.  Second number increments are updates that add features.  An update of the first number would basically be a complete rewrite.

Well, let me know when its ready so I could build a map for it, I'd appreciate it. ;) 

Here is the updated 1.0.1 version of territories.  If someone wants to get me a waypoint link, I would appreciate that!

Changes

• Fixes bug where overtime was activating regardless of overtime conditions
  • Fixes bug with dom_other pieces not being properly colored.

Notes

• For dominion pieces to work the best with this new version, set the team to Neutral.

territories_1_0_1.zip

Too bad you didn't use v1.0.1 in the post above yours.  In the version you use, overtime always triggers.  None the less, thanks for elevating publicity of my work!

Do you plan on making a version of this gametype that copies Halo Reach's Territories? The one with symmetric territories where two teams will battle for neutral territories instead of taking turns. I'm working on a project in forge but it won't function properly without neutral territories.

Edited by Zandril