Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

AbandonedCashew

Gametype
The Beta for Invasion

47 posts in this topic

Hello all, most of you have been waiting a while for this moment... I will keep things short and save the memoir for the release.

I know that when creating a gametype, there is still more to learn as you progress through discoveries and uncover new methods of doing things in Megalo that you wouldn't have thought of before. That is the reason why I have taken so long on Invasion. I could have released it 3 or 4 weeks ago, but it wouldn't have many of the fun and professional features it has now. I want to reserve room for improvement, because a release locks the development in many ways. I am not releasing, but allowing open "testing" for this gametype while I figure out a few bugs and let new potential ideas flow into my head. I will not be changing the labels, so feel free to make maps for this and let them be compatible and ready for the final 1.0 to be out... or just use the maps I have set up for it. Nevertheless, I want to let people enjoy what was most enjoyed gametype in Reach, brought back to H4.

A few things to note while de-bugging/ testing:

On the topic of spawning, the way you control where you spawn is by your loadout. Assault = On your fireteam partner. Guard = On the current phase spawn zone for your fireteam. (Only attackers) Scout = On the previous phase spawn zone for your fireteam.

Spawn zones are fireteam specific, but if you don't want 4 spawn zones for each phase for each team (0-3 User Data), then you can use User Data -1 and -2 for simplified zones.

You can manipulate spawning using the inv_gates label to not allow back phase spawning.

The Advanced Aesthetics option can be set to disabled for a more Reach-ified experience. Turn it on for a more Halo 4 vibe. (I like it disabled)

For Assault, the disarm time and detonation time are controlled in-game, but the arm time is controlled by the User Data of the bomb plant zone (in seconds). 

You don't need to set teams on objectives, but it is optional to set teams on the supply labels (vehicle, weapon, etc...)

With inv_vehicle, you MUST set the spawn time to never, and use User Data (divided by 2) as spawn time. Also note that if you do not want the vehicle to respawn, just set the User Data to -1.

If I missed anything just let me know.

Downloads:

Invasion Version 0.9.3

Transient Tower (Only ready forged map, WIP)

Invasion on Perdition (Untested)

Invasion on Vortex (Version 1.1)

Demonstration Map

More forged maps to come!

If you make one let me in on the link and I'll post it here.

Edited by AbandonedCashew

Just noticed a slight issue that I don't know if people care to think about. If you use the "Assault" phase, you can only adjust the Detonation or "Fuse" time, and the Disarm Time. Is it automatically set to 5 Seconds for the Arm Time to arm the bomb?

Issues:

-Teams option needs Locked.

-When going to the final phase on Invexion with default settings, I noticed there was an Ordnance waypoint marker for something on the map and then it disappeared. The capture zone has no waypoint so idk if it was supposed to stick as that or if the waypoint went away. I have no clue.

-Ordnance/Weapon markers: Need to stay up for probably 10-15 seconds. As-is I barely get a good look and the markers disappear.

Edited by TAxxOUTBR3AKxx

Ahh thank you for reminding me. The arm time is the User Data (in seconds) of the capture zone for the bomb. I did this to allow for balancing gameplay when you have multiple plant zones.

TAxxOUTBR3AKxx likes this

Ahh thank you for making me aware that I need to do that haha. With the navpoints, I can and may extend those supply navpoints, which are just there to signal that new things have popped up. They can be turned off by setting the items team to meutral or disabling Advanced Aesthetics. Also, anything relating to objective navpoints not showing up is a map or observation issue, however.

Haha I just said "Ahh thank you" twice without noticing XD

Ahh thank you for making me aware that I need to do that haha. With the navpoints, I can and may extend those supply navpoints, which are just there to signal that new things have popped up. They can be turned off by setting the items team to meutral or disabling Advanced Aesthetics. Also, anything relating to objective navpoints not showing up is a map or observation issue, however.

does invasion not work with teams. I've never really played it but everyone I play with seems to insist a game-type needs teams. sigh.

does invasion not work with teams. I've never really played it but everyone I play with seems to insist a game-type needs teams. sigh.

What?

Edit: Umm Invasion absolutely needs teams... Ever played it? I just don't have the option locked to be enabled.

No biggie. I mean the Capture zone for the Beacon gets a little arrow but no navpoint. It's really a non-issue. But the reason I stated the Ordnance markers issue is because if someone is dead upon a new phase starting, they will more than likely not ever see the markers. That's why I feel 10-15 seconds is reasonable.

Another thing, I liked how you attached an Oddball flickering red to the Beacon to simulate a light. Pretty cool. All the extra callouts and such, I loved. (Especially after the 2nd phase started and he announced new weapons and such spawning; Cool level +1000).

1 more issue I found is the recovery rate of the "Territories" is 1 second per 2 seconds of game time. If that's personal preference, that's fine, but Reach's Invasion used 1 second recovery for every second, so you need to halve it if that's not the case.

Also, as it should be mentioned: Just like in Reach, each Invasion variant NEEDS to be named with the corresponding map so people know what the objective order should be. Such as Invasion: Invertex (or whatever that map was) on (whatever that map was). The default may not work with everyone's maps unless it's set up appropriately or every phase has every type of objective placed on the map. This is just a formality for future forgers.

Edited by TAxxOUTBR3AKxx

What?

Edit: Umm Invasion absolutely needs teams... Ever played it? I just don't have the option locked to be enabled.

No, I haven't played it & it needs teams? If so that is why I haven't played it. I don't like game-types req teams, I'm more of a solo, like ninja assassins. My fav. is no radar & ffa style with 4 - 8 players. 

No, I haven't played it & it needs teams? If so that is why I haven't played it. I don't like game-types req teams, I'm more of a solo, like ninja assassins. My fav. is no radar & ffa style with 4 - 8 players. 

Invasion is basically one team defending a base while the other tries to infiltrate it. It's objective based, and not really plausible for it to be an FFA gametype. There are certain aspects of Invasion Slayer which could be used in FFA gametype (Tiers in Invasion Slayer comes to mind), but Invasion is intended for team gameplay.

Cosmic lightning likes this

Ok, so I walked around with a buddy showing him some things and seeing if any issues occur. I found 2 more things:

-For some reason I was able to see the Oddball detach from the Beacon if the flag was dropped and immediately picked back up (juggling). My other buddy couldn't see it but I could. If the Beacon was dropped again, the ball would instantly bee-line straight to the beacon, along with a trail of it's effect. Only aesthetically unappealing is all. Think it may be a host/non-host issue.

-We were on the same team, and after the round ended, we didn't switch sides. We stayed on offense. Not sure if that happens because there was no "defense" team or not, but I'd still like to mention that anyways.

Ok, so I walked around with a buddy showing him some things and seeing if any issues occur. I found 2 more things:

-For some reason I was able to see the Oddball detach from the Beacon if the flag was dropped and immediately picked back up (juggling). My other buddy couldn't see it but I could. If the Beacon was dropped again, the ball would instantly bee-line straight to the beacon, along with a trail of it's effect. Only aesthetically unappealing is all. Think it may be a host/non-host issue.

-We were on the same team, and after the round ended, we didn't switch sides. We stayed on offense. Not sure if that happens because there was no "defense" team or not, but I'd still like to mention that anyways.

Yeah I actually know about that ball thing... I wish I could find a way to fix it...

And if there isn't an opposing team yes sides wont switch.

Im going to forge a map and make a video later on this. Thank you for remaking my favorite gametype!

Im going to forge a map and make a video later on this. Thank you for remaking my favorite gametype!

Its been a great thing to be able to make something like this, Thank you.

But I must ask you NOT to make a video on it until I have released it as 1.0

I do NOT want this version to be downloaded freely. Please wait until the final release for making a video on it.

Its been a great thing to be able to make something like this, Thank you.

But I must ask you NOT to make a video on it until I have released it as 1.0

I do NOT want this version to be downloaded freely. Please wait until the final release for making a video on it.

I understand I will not make one. But I am making my map and I didn't plan this but it looks kinda like boneyard lol
AbandonedCashew likes this

I understand I will not make one. But I am making my map and I didn't plan this but it looks kinda like boneyard lol

You can see some maps in the link bellow for some inspiration, they're all top notch Invasion maps. Tested by the HaloWheelmen crew. These maps are matchmaking material so maybe you can take some inspiration from them, remake them or whatever...

http://www.xboxchaos.com/topic/4045-progress-with-invasion/?p=32409

Making a quality Invasion map requires lots of testing and knowledge of the gametype basics so you have half the work done there.

Edited by Gabotron ES

I found 4 bugs in the gametype so far. It seems a vehicle will not spawn unless a second is first destroyed and I don't know if this was intentional but ordnance drops seem to not replenish after they are picked up once. Also sometimes a turret will not work properly it will sometimes shoot the team it is set on and sometimes it'll work as intended. And finally sometimes the ordnance drops when forging will not display "alpha resupply which makes it impossible to set a drop for the second phase.
EDIT: Map is finished not best map but it'll do and I don't think its crap. Invasion: Alpha Base:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo4/fileshare/details/268be920-87ac-4353-a9e6-bc6dbd6eb973

Edited by adamgm10

I found 4 bugs in the gametype so far. It seems a vehicle will not spawn unless a second is first destroyed and I don't know if this was intentional but ordnance drops seem to not replenish after they are picked up once. Also sometimes a turret will not work properly it will sometimes shoot the team it is set on and sometimes it'll work as intended. And finally sometimes the ordnance drops when forging will not display "alpha resupply which makes it impossible to set a drop for the second phase.

EDIT: Map is finished not best map but it'll do and I don't think its crap. Invasion: Alpha Base:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo4/fileshare/details/268be920-87ac-4353-a9e6-bc6dbd6eb973

I can address all these:

I am not exactly sure what you mean by the second vehicle, but I haven't found any problems with them. Ordnance resupply drops are as Alpha for 2nd Phase and Bravo for 3rd Phase. I am not sure why Alpha wouldn't show up, as it would then not be the gametype. Resupply Ordnances aren't meant to come back. Sentry Turrets are smart, they build and set to the defending team automatically, then when that phase is captured, they change to attacking team. The reason behind this is so attackers moving past what they've captured won't be shot at mindlessly.

Anyway I appreciate you going in and looking for things.

If you need any help with the map (because I haven't said half of the things you can do), just ask. Respawning is hard to figure out on your own as well so again I can help with any maps anyone makes until release.

Just an update on the gametype,

I have been working on many things I have found to be bugs or faults, and I am still cleaning variables up to reduce lag.

I will update the beta when I get the chance, but for now it is safe to say that I am comfortable with how it is at the moment.

I can address all these:

I am not exactly sure what you mean by the second vehicle, but I haven't found any problems with them. Ordnance resupply drops are as Alpha for 2nd Phase and Bravo for 3rd Phase. I am not sure why Alpha wouldn't show up, as it would then not be the gametype. Resupply Ordnances aren't meant to come back. Sentry Turrets are smart, they build and set to the defending team automatically, then when that phase is captured, they change to attacking team. The reason behind this is so attackers moving past what they've captured won't be shot at mindlessly.

Anyway I appreciate you going in and looking for things.

If you need any help with the map (because I haven't said half of the things you can do), just ask. Respawning is hard to figure out on your own as well so again I can help with any maps anyone makes until release.

Just an update on the gametype,

I have been working on many things I have found to be bugs or faults, and I am still cleaning variables up to reduce lag.

I will update the beta when I get the chance, but for now it is safe to say that I am comfortable with how it is at the moment.

When I meant the second vehicle I had a ghost and warthog I blew up the ghost and waited 60 sceonds which is the spawn time. It didnt spawn I had the second player blow up the warthog I waited 60 seconds and then the ghost respawned then I blew up the ghost again then the warthog spawned after 60 seconds. And oops I forgot that ordnances don't respawn. And I figured out just deleting the turret and re forging it fixed it. Also still dont know why alpha won't ahow up. Sometimes if I go to drops with it set to to alpha resupply it says none but if I go out and back into it, it says alpha resupply.

The map works just fine right now. The instruction map helped a big deal.

Edited by adamgm10

When I meant the second vehicle I had a ghost and warthog I blew up the ghost and waited 60 sceonds which is the spawn time. It didnt spawn I had the second player blow up the warthog I waited 60 seconds and then the ghost respawned then I blew up the ghost again then the warthog spawned after 60 seconds. And oops I forgot that ordnances don't respawn. And I figured out just deleting the turret and re forging it fixed it. Also still dont know why alpha won't ahow up. Sometimes if I go to drops with it set to to alpha resupply it says none but if I go out and back into it, it says alpha resupply.

The map works just fine right now. The instruction map helped a big deal.

Cashew stated that resupplies don't respawn. If ordnances aren't respawning, I'd suggest having weapons only specific to phases and assign them the proper phase.

So I have a ball that is attached to the carry bomb on tick, but through some sort of host issue, when a player picks up the beacon, the ball appears to detach for certain player(s). Anyone know why? I'm putting it in the local trigger at the moment but it does the same when on host...

I may found another glitch. I was playing with some people on these forums and we found out even playing on the demo map that they could not spawn after they died until I killed the other person was this intentional?

I may found another glitch. I was playing with some people on these forums and we found out even playing on the demo map that they could not spawn after they died until I killed the other person was this intentional?

As I stated before, I havent updated the gametype. That problem is caused simply by lag but I cut the feature causing it anyway. I will update the link in a moment.

EDIT: Updated link to version 0.9.3

Any bugs? Let me know! The release is coming very soon.