Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AbandonedCashew

Retail
Gametype Modding Tutorials

16 posts in this topic

With maybe 3 or 4 gametype modders still around... I decided to make my tutorials, which have been reserved for people I trust with learning to mod gametypes, now open to everyone here.

If you are exploring the forums in search of tutorials on how to get started with online gametype mods, then you've come to the right place.

Keep in mind that cheating is not tolerated, and there has been reason for us keeping little to no documentation on this stuff strictly because of people ready to boost their Customs Stats. Do not do this.

If you haven't a clue on where to begin, then download this collage for instructions on setup and more.

Getting Started

For Step 2- You'll need...

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5

Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package (x86)

Once you've gotten comfortable with that, or you are ready to start scripting, use this as your training wheels.

Basics on Triggers

Know that you should really, really learn to read gametypes before you start writing.

If you can't read it, you probably can't write it.

If you have troubles understanding things,

try compiling a gametype and opening it using the WumboScript Viewer.

Also keep in mind that gametypes are limited to anything 343i had planned to be able to do with gametypes. If you can't imagine it in a gametype by 343i, you probably can't do it here.

Something we have over 343i though, is that we are creative ;)

Happy scripting.

Edited by AbandonedCashew
The404Spartan and Pfeuff like this

Thanks alot - Can this tutorial be applied to modding Reach gametypes?

Yes, just use the Halo Reach batch files when encoding and decoding.

I cant seem to get past the first part. Been having trouble getting Ksoft to work since it came out. Maybe you can help me Im running on a window 7 64bit and have downloaded all the Firmware Ksoft requires but stil can never get past the first part to open a varaiant. This is the messsage I get when I drag and drop the file in to the H4 Decode

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Modding\H4\Throwback Slaye>KSoft.Tool.exe -env=blam -to
ol=gvar -mode=decode -game=Halo4 "-path=C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Modding\H4\Thro
wback Slaye\variant" "-name=variant" "-out=C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Modding\H4\T
hrowback Slaye\\" -switches=1
'KSoft.Tool.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Modding\H4\Throwback Slaye>PAUSE
Press any key to continue . . .

Edited by xsjados

I cant seem to get past the first part. Been having trouble getting Ksoft to work since it came out. Maybe you can help me Im running on a window 7 64bit and have downloaded all the Firmware Ksoft requires but stil can never get past the first part to open a varaiant. This is the messsage I get when I drag and drop the file in to the H4 Decode

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Modding\H4\Throwback Slaye>KSoft.Tool.exe -env=blam -to

ol=gvar -mode=decode -game=Halo4 "-path=C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Modding\H4\Thro

wback Slaye\variant" "-name=variant" "-out=C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Modding\H4\T

hrowback Slaye\\" -switches=1

'KSoft.Tool.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Modding\H4\Throwback Slaye>PAUSE

Press any key to continue . . .

This is usually caused by not having the batch files in the same folder as ksoft, or not having all the required frameworks. Make sure you have .net frameworks 4.1 as well as the other requirements listed.

Also, see if this will throw the same error.

http://www.xboxchaos.com/files/file/159-z-scriptor/

If it does, then you have the directory setup wrong, if not then you are missing a required framework.

This is usually caused by not having the batch files in the same folder as ksoft, or not having all the required frameworks. 

If it does, then you have the directory setup wrong, if not then you are missing a required framework.

I have all the required Framework, but what do you mean by "batch files in same folder" or "Wrong directory setup" could you clarify on this more? Sorry im new to this sort of thing not sure where to put the ksoft folder after I download it I currently have it in my documents folder.

I have all the required Framework, but what do you mean by "batch files in same folder" or "Wrong directory setup" could you clarify on this more? Sorry im new to this sort of thing not sure where to put the ksoft folder after I download it I currently have it in my documents folder.

It should not matter where you put the folder. Did the program I linked to you work?

It should not matter where you put the folder. Did the program I linked to you work?

No my Variant file would only show up to open in "Gametype Container" and then window would pop up saying "String Chooser" then "Ksoft encountered an error.    :mad:

I just uninstalled and re installed all the software i need for it but still same thing. It must be my setup for Ksoft or something, if someone can explain more of how to setup Ksoft or maybe a step im missing that would be great. Currently I have downloaded all the software, have the newest version of Ksoft in my Documents folder, and already extracted a variant from horizon. I followed all the steps but still get the same problem as seen from my post above.

Thank you. :smile:    

Make sure that you extracted KSoft after you installed all the required software. Then just make sure you don't even touch how the folders are layed out when decoding your gametype.

Make sure that you extracted KSoft after you installed all the required software. Then just make sure you don't even touch how the folders are layed out when decoding your gametype.

Yea just re-did all that again same thing still.

Yea just re-did all that again same thing still.

For ksoft, if you are using the bat files then all you need to is extract the files to a specific directory then put the variant file in the same folder. Then drag and drop the variant onto the bat file. If you are not using the bat files, but instead you are using the normal command prompt, then you need to make sure the cmd.exe is working in the ksoft folder, or you will get that exact error. There are two ways of doing this. You can either copy and paste cmd.exe into the ksoft folder, or you can do something like "cd c:/ksoft/" every time you want to use ksoft.

No my Variant file would only show up to open in "Gametype Container" and then window would pop up saying "String Chooser" then "Ksoft encountered an error.    :mad:

when opening variant files in my program, by default it is looking for files with .game after it. There should be a drop down at the bottom that has "Game File (*.game)" or "Variant File." You will need to be on variant. This is because ksoft extracts its variant files with .game after them.

You know you can just open the gamesave as a container right? even kosft allows that.

Edited by Zerker24

Ill tell you one thing: weapon tuning is very blind, as all the values arent named, so you can just mess with it, if you want a guide for weapon tuning then I have (Zedd's I think) weapon tuning guide in my reference folder.