Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EmptyVoid95

Support
Some questions on modding for a newbie

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, really sorry if this is in the wrong place or I got the wrong prefix or whatever. Never really posted on these forums except maybe once, but I've been lurking here for quite a while.

I want to get into modding gametypes. I already have a flash drive, and I can put gametypes on it, I have Horizon, and I had modded before, but Halo gametypes seem like a whole different monster.

Right now, my first order of business is trying to organize the various modded gametypes I have. I have about 30 in the Community catagory, and Reach's Infection in it's own catagory. I would like to modify the gametypes, if possible, to be seperated into even more catagories, and rearrange some into others (for example, putting some modded Slayer variants back into Slayer, and making a CoD/CS catagory for things like Fuse, Rush Slayer, Gun Game, etc.). I'm using Horizon to modifiy the catagory and stuff, but I'm running into this odd issue; every time I save the modified modded gametype (modception! :P ), it gets corrupted. It goes from around 88kb to 822b, and is unuseable. I tried running Horizon in Safe Mode as well, same problem. Would anyone happen to know a fix for this?

On the topic of catagories, how many different new ones can you have? I'd like to set up one for Assault, VIP, Headhunter, Stockpile, CoD, Salvation, Invasion, etc, but is it possible to have that many, and more? I would assume you set it to one of those hidden unknown gametype catagory things, then give it a custom name, and pick an icon, is this correct?

I'm guessing this would be child's play for the lot of you, but this is the first time I'm even touching anything relating to Halo's engine. I do have a couple of the common tools, Ksoft, Wumbo, though I haven't tried running them with any gametypes so I don't know what kind of hiccups I'll run into later on with them.

Oh, and one last question before I forget, how do you change Team emblems? I recall in the No Death Barriers gametype, Cyan Team's Dino was replaced with the Moniter. Is this done with Ksoft?

Just to answer the Horizon "corruption" issue...
You have to save gametypes twice (in a row, yes), and they will be fine. It's a glitch that it does that anyway.

There are 25 categories, 25 is Community, 6 is Ricochet. Use anything in between those and you should be fine, but know that you need the name "category name" in each gametype that goes into it.

Edited by AbandonedCashew

There are 25 categories, 25 is Community, 6 is Ricochet. Use anything in between those and you should be fine, but know that you need the name "category name" in each gametype that goes into it.

Actually Horizon doesn't let you choose any old category and KSoft is rigged to change any new category to the Community Category.  You can still use the default categories, like Slayer, but don't expect to be able to start a new one just for CoD inspired gametypes.

Actually Horizon doesn't let you choose any old category and KSoft is rigged to change any new category to the Community Category.  You can still use the default categories, like Slayer, but don't expect to be able to start a new one just for CoD inspired gametypes.

From what I've gathered the latest versions of KSoft removed that limitation. I have definitely seen people saying this in the past, but I am definitely using custom categories just fine with KSoft.Tool 1.4.

@OP: http://www.xboxchaos.com/topic/4351-some-misc-gametypescripting-questions/?p=34270

Edited by Ingulit

From what I've gathered the latest versions of KSoft removed that limitation. I have definitely seen people saying this in the past, but I am definitely using custom categories just fine with KSoft.Tool 1.4.

@OP: http://www.xboxchaos.com/topic/4351-some-misc-gametypescripting-questions/?p=34270

These kinds of limits were in place in KSoft so that people wouldn't just all make a new category and share it. Everyone having their own categories can become annoying.
Tragedy likes this