Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AMD

General
[MAJOR SPOILERS] Halo 5 Campaign Discussion Thread

Halo 5 Campaign   22 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the campaign?

• It was great!
    • It's okay.
    • It sucked.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 posts in this topic

If you have not played the entire Halo 5 campaign, turn around now unless you don't mind being spoiled.

Well, Halo 5 has been out since the 27th now, and the campaign has gotten tons of mixed reviews. What do you think about it? What did 343 do well, and what could be improved upon? Please remember to be respectful of others' opinions, and try to back up your statements with evidence. Also, spoilers do not need to be tagged here, because you can assume that everyone here has finished the game. (But they do need to be tagged anywhere outside of this thread until further notice.)

I'll be posting up my personal thoughts soon.

Stu Pickles likes this

One thing that I enjoyed about the campaign is the addition of fireteams. In most of the previous campaigns, if you were playing co-op campaign, the cut-scenes in particular didn't make sense. In Halo: Reach, multiple players would mean playing as multiple Noble 6's, but there would only be one in the cut-scene, same idea in ODST with the Rookie, and same in Halo 4 with Master Chief. The last game that had a decent attempt at co-op campaign was Halo 3 where player 1 would be Chief, 2 would be Arbiter, and 3 & 4 would be Elites.

That being said, I am pretty bummed out that there is no split-screen. Some of my favorite memories of Halo are split-screen campaign (and multiplayer, but that's not the focus of this thread), and I would have loved for that to be possible in Halo 5.

I've only gone through the campaign once so far (co-op on Normal), so after I have some more experience with it I'll post back with some more thoughts.

Wil and Tzar Maikeru like this

All right, so here's a brain dump of my personal thoughts on the campaign. Overall I'd have to say that I enjoyed it, but I feel like it could have been a lot better than it actually was.

The Good

• I was able to complete it in one sitting without getting bored or frustrated, so I can definitely say that it was at least enjoyable for me.
  • The environments all looked beautiful and detailed. The game ran very smoothly and maintained a solid frame rate throughout.
  • The cutscenes looked amazing too, even considering that they were pre-rendered.
  • I really liked the soundtrack, especially in the last few missions. It had a mix of both old and new (Halo 4) themes in it. Also, the menu music is great as always.
  • I didn't mind playing as Locke. I actually think it's nice to see that 343 is willing to change things up a bit (however, see my comment below on why I think Master Chief should have had more missions).
  • The fireteam concept made some parts of the game more interesting. I know the AI isn't that great, but it was nice to be able to tell them to at least try to target an enemy (and it actually worked a lot of the time for me). At the very least, they made for good distractions when fighting enemies like Hunters or the Warden, because otherwise it can be difficult to get them to turn away. And plus, as OrangeMohawk mentioned, it increases immersion when you're playing co-op.
  • Speaking of Hunters, the fact that they can deflect nades now actually caught me off-guard a couple of times.
  • It was nice to see the Arbiter again, and he looked pretty badass. The mission on Sanghelios was pretty cool too.
  • Skulls are back! I haven't found any yet, but I'll probably go hunting sometime soon.
  • I felt that the difficulty (on Normal, at least) was just about right. Started out simple and then gradually ramped up to the point where you're supposed to fight three Wardens at once (!!!).
  • Exuberant Witness was a great new character and she was really able to lighten up the mood a bit.
  • The ending of the game had some parallels to Halo 4's ending. That was pretty cool.
  • The gameplay was solid and all of the weapons felt useful in some way.

The Bad

• I really didn't care for the story at all. Fortunately there was still a lot that was able to make the campaign enjoyable for me. But I'd have to say that my main complaint was that it just seemed very cliche. Oh no, this sentient AI that we made turned evil and it wants to kill us! What are we going to do?! If that sci-fi trope hasn't been overused to hell, I don't know what has. We get it, one of the possible implications of creating a complex AI is that it can turn evil. Now either do something else or at least add a fresh twist to things. (Also, I like Cortana and wouldn't have minded to see her back in some way, but this specific way they did it didn't appeal to me.)
  • I actually didn't follow the Hunt the Truth stuff, but from what I've heard it sounds like it would have made for a much more interesting story than what we got.
  • Killing off Jul 'Mdama in the first mission came off as being rather edgy to me. Look at us, we spent all this time developing this character and now we killed him IN THE FIRST MISSION! Get hyped! I'd be okay with him getting killed later on, but the way they did it just felt very anti-climactic.
  • I'm kind of on-the-fence about the system where your teammates can revive you. I know that there are a lot of cases where they can't always do that, but I can't help but feel like it makes dying more meaningless and reduces the difficulty of the game. Perhaps encounters were designed with this system in mind (and I hope they were), but it sort of takes away the feeling that previous games had where you could actually be scared of enemies and had to play somewhat tactically because dying meant having to go back to your latest checkpoint. At the same time though, it does reduce the repetition associated with that, so that's good I guess.
  • The characters were flat. The other members of Osiris and Blue Team didn't have much of an impact on anything and the game wouldn't have been much different if they weren't around at all. In fact, Vale's only remotely memorable quote for me was just blatant feminist pandering. Nice.
  • On the topic of character development, Master Chief should have had more missions. Not because I think that Halo should only be about Master Chief, but because his side of the story just seemed more interesting. If they had fleshed out the dynamics between Chief and Cortana more, it would have made for some nice character development.
  • The "walking simulator" missions seemed useless. I didn't hate them, and I can understand why people who are invested in the game's lore might like them, but I feel like they were just added to pad out the game's mission and intel counts so 343i can brag about the game being so much longer than the other games. If they had just been quickly tacked onto the other missions (or even replaced with cutscenes/voiceovers) and more Chief missions were added in their place, they could have done a lot more with the story.
  • Not having splitscreen isn't a big deal for me personally, but I can completely understand why a lot of people are so upset about it. I wouldn't mind reduced graphical quality while splitscreen is active if the game absolutely needs to maintain 60 fps, but apparently that's not possible because Microsoft needs to push the agenda that consoles have amazing graphical capabilities.

My final rating for the campaign is 7/10. The story was a big letdown for me, but everything else was solid. I'll probably attempt a Legendary playthrough at some point or another, and I might revise this post afterwards in case I have any new thoughts on the story that weren't as obvious to me before.

Played it solo on legendary and the first time I encountered the warden I was completely tired and had to take a break. Than when I had to fight the three wardens I was so mad, I lost my voice. They executed the coop better than Halo 4, not just multiple master chiefs. lastly, the introduction of Exuberant was awesome, love her. 

I feel that 343i just had a shitty justification of reusing the same boss. "He has many bodies"....

Campaign overall is ok, it's fun and fits well with Halo. Good replay value with the collectables.

Just wish there was more variety.

The fact 343i released the game without forge makes me mad. In addition, it makes me mad people are on the side of 343i and willing to put up with devs releasing games that aren't "complete" (I know it's gonna be free, but come on... I pay 60 dollars and I have to wait for one of the most interesting parts of the game).

Warzone is fun. No complaints 

Arena I feel that the maps are too small for the new movement.

Edited by Lehvak
weighta, OrangeMohawk and Thunder like this

I feel that 343i just had a shitty justification of reusing the same boss. "He has many bodies"....

Yeah, this kind of annoyed me too. Making you fight three wardens at the same time just kind of feels like artificial difficulty to me. They could have at least given him different attack patterns and weaknesses in the future fights in order to mix things up. You would think that someone as powerful as the warden could learn from his mistakes and come up with a more powerful body each time.

Wil and Thunder like this

I thought that the campaign was a good campaing but if you think about the overall story of halo 5 it's pretty short but it was a fun play through on co-op just messing around. but the ending did make you want to play more and hyped me and a couple of friends to for the next halo campaign.

The forge now being released at launch sucks but I would rather have a good forge in halo than a rushed one that is missing many new feature cause they had to cut them due to time. you do have to remember that they have campaign, multiplayer, and forge to make and add them all into the game with minimal bugs.

but the ending did make you want to play more and hyped me and a couple of friends to for the next halo campaign.

Agree'd. I especially liked when the Arbiter saw master chief for the first time in a while, it was sorta emotional, I just wish there was more length, and dialogue to that scene.   

Agree'd. I especially liked when the Arbiter saw master chief for the first time in a while, it was sorta emotional, I just wish there was more length, and dialogue to that scene.

Yea would have been cool if arbiter said something after dr halsey like "its been a while" then it flashed to the frigate scene

I feel this game is amazing the campaign lacking in some aspects was amazing overall. Warzone is the funniest thing I think I have ever played in a Halo Game sorry Halo 2'custom. Amazing machmaking amazing story and so much to do more than any halo before it. Till recently I was believeing Halo 3 was the last great halo but Halo 5 proved me wrong thank you 343I for one of the best Halo games todate.

Has anyone noticed, if you played on legendary; how easy it is to run out of ammo? It's very annoying.

I recommend this

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/3qprfx/50_of_halo_5_is_awol_and_the_other_50_is_a_mess/

I just finished reading that Reddit post and I will come and hear some point but most of what he has to say is just him bitching about things I mean really every game has its issues yes but I personally saw halo five campaign as a step in the right direction granted the story was a little fast pace and it did kind of get annoying story was overall good and did its job of setting up the next arc just like H2 did for H3 you set up the right story and give your fans a massive taste and in the climax is just that much better I personally think the games at 9/10

I dont know zedd and i were dicking around trying to break the maps while dual and AMD were legitimately trying to play.....all i remember is a certain someone getting stuck in a wall for 30 minutes lol and my assasination breaking a checkpoint

Edited by lordcrusnik
Lord Zedd likes this

I feel this game is amazing the campaign lacking in some aspects was amazing overall. Warzone is the funniest thing I think I have ever played in a Halo Game sorry Halo 2'custom. Amazing machmaking amazing story and so much to do more than any halo before it. Till recently I was believeing Halo 3 was the last great halo but Halo 5 proved me wrong thank you 343I for one of the best Halo games todate.

While I agree that the multiplayer does seem fairly well put together initially, I have to disagree with you about the "So much more to do than any halo before it" statement.  This game launched with far fewer gametypes than any Halo before it.  I think we got Warzone which isn't even a custom game.  We also got breakout (slayer with 1 life), CTF, and strongholds.  The rest is just variants of slayer.

The options available to us for custom games setup are also lackluster in their current state.  I believe you can't even choose to have random weapons on spawn.

This game also launched with a limited number of maps and several maps the game launched with are Forge Variants.

Also this game launched without Forge or a Firefight/Spartan Ops.  1-2 more major gamemodes not present in the release.

To give 343 some credit they are going to add Forge.  They are also going to be giving us DLC as part of buying the game.  Eventually, there probably will be a lot to do in this game.  I just don't feel like your statement is accurate right row.

We all know that 343 has messed up a few thing here and there. But for the people who hate 343, you can't just look at the game for a split second and say it sucks. If you were to make a Halo 4, Halo 5 game that you've worked on for 2 years, then releasing the game and hoping for a good report.. Then you get all the complaints. How would that make you feel? But, it's not just that the game dosn't make sense, or there's bad graphics, whatever, what matters is that they tried and did all they could to continue Halo 4.

So with me, I think it was great. And I can't wait for the next series.

We all know that 343 has messed up a few thing here and there. But for the people who hate 343, you can't just look at the game for a split second and say it sucks. If you were to make a Halo 4, Halo 5 game that you've worked on for 2 years, then releasing the game and hoping for a good report.. Then you get all the complaints. How would that make you feel? But, it's not just that the game dosn't make sense, or there's bad graphics, whatever, what matters is that they tried and did all they could to continue Halo 4.

So with me, I think it was great. And I can't wait for the next series.

343 is NOTORIOUS for gutting the series. Sure there are enhancements to the game, and yes 343 knows how to make a pretty game. However looks only get you so far. Halo 4 had Gutted so many gutted features that it took everyone on this site a very long time and effort to add back into the game. halo MCC was broken for 8 months.....8 months before it was in a state of playability. Halo 5s story is so convoluted and mismanaged, Microtransactions to earn armor, and yet again WAY MORE  gutted features at launch, more then halo 4.....including forge and infection, BTB which is now in.....it is fully justified to distrust 343 at this point

And to be honest, if forge is going to be a platform in and of itself that will be constantly updated like its been established on the waypoint forums, then i will not buy a new halo at all from this company, 

Edited by lordcrusnik
OrangeMohawk and Teancum like this

343 is NOTORIOUS for gutting the series. Sure there are enhancements to the game, and yes 343 knows how to make a pretty game. However looks only get you so far. Halo 4 had Gutted so many gutted features that it took everyone on this site a very long time and effort to add back into the game. halo MCC was broken for 8 months.....8 months before it was in a state of playability. Halo 5s story is so convoluted and mismanaged, Microtransactions to earn armor, and yet again WAY MORE  gutted features at launch, more then halo 4.....including forge and infection, BTB which is now in.....it is fully justified to distrust 343 at this point

Yeah you might be right.

Being a hater just isn't me though. I am doing my best to give them a chance..

I can add a little to that... Halo 4 missed out the "Regular" Infection game type, and now it's "Flood"?

Sure, it's a little cool and all but there is no changing the flood's weapon or any of that. And I havn't seemed

to find a racing game type either.

And to be honest, if forge is going to be a platform in and of itself that will be constantly updated like its been established on the waypoint forums, then i will not buy a new halo at all from this company, 

I would have to agree. They've already ripped us off; No Co-op. (Every one is a single buyer). - You should have seen the look on my friend's faces when I mentioned that.

Edited by XephyrCraft