Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Akarias

Manual Script Editing (And you!)

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Really? No one is going to make a very bad tutorial of some description? Rip.

Scripts are like file trees, follow their indexes and you can map them out. Bungie's scripts tend to point you backwards and sometimes forwards, even by hundreads of indexes. Yay.

I made a blog post that will contain anything useful, including some patches eventually. Valhalla scripts are empty and are good for making fresh, ordered scripts. Grab H3/Reach_scripting.xml from your assembly and go to town. If you need to blanket remove a lot of script expressions just jump to its file offset and blanket replace them. 

If a script is continuous it can be poked on the fly, other wise a level reload is needed.

I highly suggest you do some scripting in Halo CE or Halo 2 and get an understanding of the format before messing about with Halo 3 / Reach.

Edited by Akarias

Thank you for posting this, I've been searching up, down, and all around this site for help with scripts. Mainly, specifically for removing things, like the cutscenes and animations that are forced at the start of 100_citadel (H3).

I just want to say to new-comers that this is a tutorial for editing an existing script on a .map not adding a completely new one. Adding one requires manually compiling the script which is a long process. Anyways, good tutorial there Akarias.

Faultiplayer likes this

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Lehvak said:

I just want to say to new-comers that this is a tutorial for editing an existing script on a .map not adding a completely new one. Adding one requires manually compiling the script which is a long process. Anyways, good tutorial there Akarias.

Hold on, I'll show you how to create them from scratch just give me a bit of time to make something that can actually be interpreted. I made that video some 10 times and every time I would go off on a tangent  and miss the whole point.

f7uEgp.png

EG: A empty riverworld.map waiting for its new script to have some functions

11 hours ago, Gamecheat13 said:

Dude give me that secret Halo script compiler. I know you have it.

(Satire)

I'm trying to make some extra bits that make life easier, made a language format and auto complete for notepad++ for both H3 and halo reach. I even attempted to make a plugin that would take the contents of everything that is selected as a bunch of raw expressions in hex. EG:

QMZblk.png   

would be spat out as a ton of expressions in hex format to be pasted in, I gave up on it in the end and started by taking the latest assembly build and making a new data stream that would write back to certain parts based on the scriptBox element. Right now you can only save back true or false from the globals section. I'm manually specifying what to save and where so there is no comparability with halo reach atm. For the love of god I hope there is someone else out there who has already done this, I really don't wan't to do it :c. 

I'll be perfectly honest when I say I simply don't know enough to finish this, everything that I know has come from about a weeks worth of just starring at expressions then pulling them out and ordering them in a hex editor. 

Edited by Akarias

11 minutes ago, ImDatNigga said:

Damn this a good ass tutorial with the video n shit, love it bruh.

Its terrible, I cringe fucking hard at this. Its missing so much information. But hopefully you won't even have to do this any more, soon.