Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

X3CXeX

General
Game variant modding

9 posts in this topic

Hey there,

So just to let you know, game variant modding is possible and yes, I have some examples on my content browser (X3CXeX v3).

Have fun!

— GAME VARIANTS —

NEW - Weaponless Survivors [Infection]

No Weapon Start [Slayer]

Weapons Damages Disabled [Slayer]

Extended Motion Sensor (91m) [Slayer]

Slice Disabled (Distance: 0%, Speed: 500%) [Slayer]

Boom! (Grenades damage: 500%, Explosion radius: 500%, Knockback: 500%) [Slayer]

— TUTORIAL —

Requirements

• Windows 10
  • Halo app + Halo 5: Forge
  • HxD (hex editor)
  • Fiddler (v4.6.x or upper)
  • A fresh Xbox LIVE account (recommended)
  • About 5-10 minutes

Tutorial
In this tutorial, I'll show you how-to set additional settings to a Slayer gametype by disabling weapons damages. Please note that variants are acting like patch files, so unfortunately (by now?) you can not mess with player's scale or whatever.

• Start Halo 5: Forge through the Halo app, and launch Fiddler
  • Open Fiddler Web Debugger and exempt Halo and Halo 5: Forge.

wLpyNKs.png

crKyUZp.png

• Go back to Halo 5: Forge and go to Multiplayer > Custom game > Game mode options > Player traits.
  • Scroll to Weapons section and set damages to 10% or whatever (should not be the default value, but let's use 10% here).
  • Keep an eye on Fiddler and save a copy of your game variant.

WvWHHnU.png

• Find the save request (POST method) and save its body.

cZKkAwm.png

• Open the saved file with HxD and look for AB 47 (hex values) in it.

voNMNDh.png

• Here we go. In the screenshot above, AB 47 CD CC CC 3D 00 00 represents our 10%.
  • Replace it by AB 47 00 00 80 BF 00 00, which is a 0%, and then select and copy all hex values.

q9tuwLB.png

c6mT3Ym.png

• Go back to Fiddler, unlock the save request for editing.
  • Switch to the HexView tab and replace the body (in black) by yours.

p22hSIH.png

gnN6MQO.png

• Reissue the request.

x3i6piA.png

• If everything was done correctly, the new POST request will return a 202 Accepted HTTP code.

beK9QO2.png

• Go back to Halo 5: Forge, load your new variants from your content browser and profit!

RWw4AV9.png

What now?
Your call! If you are looking for additional hex values, this might help you. Also, if you are an API developer, feel free to try cryptum-halodotapi (Advanced Halo 5 API wrapper which can be extended to other Halo games)!

Enjoy!

— X3CXeX (Zeny)

Edited by X3CXeX
Added new variants
Pfeuff likes this

Could you possibly go into more detail on what currently can be done with modding game variants?

18 minutes ago, Pfeuff said:

Could you possibly go into more detail on what currently can be done with modding game variants?

Sure. You can extend base settings like jump height, weapons damages, grenades explosion radius, etc. to no  supported ones from 0 to 500% for each. Or even create a no weapon start game variant.

Not as cool as H4 but it's a start.

Hmm, well... I'm kinda interested to check this out. I'll be waiting for that tutorial.

I wonder if anything with Megalo has been carried over from H4? Wishful thinking perhaps. lol

Edited by Pfeuff

13 hours ago, Pfeuff said:

Hmm, well... I'm kinda interested to check this out. I'll be waiting for that tutorial.

I wonder if anything with Megalo has been carried over from H4? Wishful thinking perhaps. lol

I'll try to update my post with the tutorial today ;)

Edit - @Pfeuff done ;)

Edited by X3CXeX
Pfeuff likes this

It seems that some of the binary values (like for times and percentages) are little-endian floats. Theoretically, it should be possible to set these to anything we want, even negative numbers. I don't have access to my PC at the moment but I'll test this out when I get a chance.

(This is CantUseApostrophes from Reddit btw)

X3CXeX likes this

9 hours ago, Stalingrad said:

It seems that some of the binary values (like for times and percentages) are little-endian floats. Theoretically, it should be possible to set these to anything we want, even negative numbers. I don't have access to my PC at the moment but I'll test this out when I get a chance.

(This is CantUseApostrophes from Reddit btw)

Oh! You are right! :)

2IPgFoh.png

51 minutes ago, X3CXeX said:

Oh! You are right! :)

Yep, after poking through the markup .bin files, I found that all the values preceded by 4B 47 are floats. Also, 2B 50 indicates an unsigned LEB128-encoded integer (sometimes they're multiplied by 2), and 0B 42 indicates a boolean.

After some quick tests, values like jump height seem to have hardcoded bounds. Even when I set it to 10,000%, I still jumped as high as if it was at 500%. Not sure if this is the case for all traits; that will have to be tested. Here's a screenshot showing some values I was able to change (score, time, lives, rounds):

menu.png

Edited by Stalingrad

Instead of doing a no weapon start, would it be possible to change a value to make the Sword invisible and exchange the punch sound with the ones from the pistol for example? Or completely remove the HUD elements?