Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blackdimund

Modding
Re-scaling a character ($100 bitcoin bounty)

12 posts in this topic

After 10 years I have come back with a modded 360 and want to mod my halo 3 a bit. I used to heavily mod halo 2 long ago, and already got that. I already am able to mod everything, even got the 360 SDK set up with assembly and am able to poke which is great.
I have been trying for hours how to correctly scale a character in halo 3, like this youtuber here
I tried changing many values and found some that actually sort of work, but not near as good as the youtuber did it. I went into mode tag and changed the compression info (changing everything times 0.3)
mode compression bounds.png
It sort of works but not really. At least their feet plant the ground. but their phmo and coll are still from the original bigger one.

mode compression bounds result.png

Here, I found I could simply change this runtime node default scale from 1 to 0.3, and it actually works better.runtime node default scale.png

They look good, and they take coll hits ok (can only shoot where their model is), but their phmo is still the original larger one, and they always stand in midd-air (I guess the middle of the phmo or something)scale but stands high.png

I tried to scale the phmo to the new model size but nothing seems to work. I have been at this for hours and I don't know how to fix it.
I tried changing a lot of values in phmo in assembly but nothing changed ingame. I even put the marine phmo as null in the marine hlmt but they still had a phmo lol. Assembly says its updated with 2016.11.04.19.07.00-master

I found an old se7ensins thread titled "Model Resizing: The Correct Way" but it just tells you to edit phmo values that the marine phmo doesn't even have. 

Anyone have any ideas? Or maybe have any mods with scaled characters I could look at?

nothing in phmo.png

Edited by blackdimund

Specifically in Halo 3's case:  fWCArEV.png 

Cant remember if object arguments look at the "object names" index in the scnr. (well it should work with anything that is an obje)

Edited by Akarias

5 hours ago, Akarias said:

Specifically in Halo 3's case:  fWCArEV.png 

Cant remember if object arguments look at the "object names" index in the scnr. (well it should work with anything that is an obje)

THANKYOU FOR THIS!

saved me a lot of time and effort of where to find that script. I already found a guide on how to create halo 3 scripts from scratch in assembly, so if this script works, I should be able to figure this out with some research. I assume object would be replaced with whatever I want to resize. Or maybe that's not how it works, I am total script noob and will have to figure this stuff out,

EDIT: or actually looks like the object name goes between the empty quotes

EDIT: yeah that those last statements are showing how much noob I am at scripting. I followed a guide and got a gravity script working, but man manually scripting is difficult. Hopefully I can get the scale one working.

EDIT: yeah I suck at coding but I understand a little bit, object will probably have some sort of name I will need to find, real is a 3.4E +-38 with 6 digits, short is an integer value under 32,767. 

Edited by blackdimund

Alright I have learned a little bit and made some progress. It was hell making this script. Assembly crashes completely if something doesn't match up, there are next to none examples of this script being used. I managed to find one buried away though. After many hours of trial and error and understanding how some of this works, I came up with this. It still doesn't do anything in-game though. I guess the object argument needs to be something else. Does the object need to be something like mp_masterchief or something? I don't know how to make it do that. I will keep trying but if anyone could point me in right direction it would help a lot.

hsc script.pngScripts.png

larger imgur image for the script expressions

script expressions.png

Edited by blackdimund

Type values past 4 mean the opcode value should equal the type value. Also you should check back with existing scripts, because the Value of the first expression of a new line/opcode (so you need it for begin and set_scale) should be the salt/index of the first child expression. Could also remove clutter in your plugin because enums/bitfield/ascii aren't needed.

Thats what I can tell from first glance, anyway

I'm gonna crazy trying to figure this out. I can't even copy/paste the only object_set_scale function I found from a campaign map (which was hard as hell to find btw). I can't even copy scripts from other multiplayer maps and get them working, assembly just crashes. Everything always crashes. I could only get the gravity script working because it is so simple. If anyone can at least show me how to make a whole campaign map with resized characters and vehicles, I'll pay you $100 in bitcoin. I just want to make a fun campaign mod with everything set small/big.

If assembly crashes, its because a expression is invalid / expression group is invalid.

Aka it wont run in game and assembly will just shit its self as the scripting side of assembly barely even works at all. There is no exception handling within the script assembler if I remember correctly.

You do realise how much work it is to do without a proper script editor? It's a bit of a pipe dream you got there. None the less I'll see if I can add support for it in my hack-job build of assembly. (The build with BlamHammer's unfinished weirdness bodged into it. I'll only spent a hour at most because who the hell mods on an xbox anymore)

Edit actually I got a better but very bad idea. just make a volume the size of the entire map and return all objects in that volume :v: you can then return objects by their type to filter out any unwanted and dangerous results. A far better idea is to setup a vollume for each BSP and when a BSP gets loaded you can rescale objects accordingly. this shouldn't cause too much lag or crash the game.

(Check out the existing zoneswaps)

Edited by Akarias

2 hours ago, Akarias said:

If assembly crashes, its because a expression is invalid / expression group is invalid.

Aka it wont run in game and assembly will just shit its self as the scripting side of assembly barely even works at all. There is no exception handling within the script assembler if I remember correctly.

You do realise how much work it is to do without a proper script editor? It's a bit of a pipe dream you got there. None the less I'll see if I can add support for it in my hack-job build of assembly. (The build with BlamHammer's unfinished weirdness bodged into it. I'll only spent a hour at most because who the hell mods on an xbox anymore)

Edit actually I got a better but very bad idea. just make a volume the size of the entire map and return all objects in that volume :v: you can then return objects by their type to filter out any unwanted and dangerous results. A far better idea is to setup a vollume for each BSP and when a BSP gets loaded you can rescale objects accordingly. this shouldn't cause too much lag or crash the game.

(Check out the existing zoneswaps)

I probably have no idea how to make it happen. I'll try looking around and see if I can figure something out though. 

32 minutes ago, Lord Zedd said:

I did this a while back that may do what you want, would have to track the edits down though.

I got excited and followed the 2 edits made in the video, nothing changed for me though. I'll keep poking around see if anything happens.

thanks for the help guys

1 hour ago, blackdimund said:

I got excited and followed the 2 edits made in the video, nothing changed for me though. I'll keep poking around see if anything happens.

thanks for the help guys

Yeah I modified the game code to use those 2 values from the video. I need to find the code edits to replicate it (I got lots of folders with lots of text files to dig through), then you'd just run the modified xex and it will work like you see there.

8 hours ago, Lord Zedd said:

Yeah I modified the game code to use those 2 values from the video. I need to find the code edits to replicate it (I got lots of folders with lots of text files to dig through), then you'd just run the modified xex and it will work like you see there.

Ah ok that explains why I couldn't get anything working. I wish I knew half of what you do about modding you seem to be able to do so many things. If you happen to see any of your text files on how to transfer animations between characters, let me know that too, I saw that amazing video as well. I'll still pay you that bounty too man!