Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wblegoboy

General
Halo Reach Forge Save Corruption

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone!

Recently I have been attempting to import tags into the Forge palette for use in saves - but with one problem: if I make a change to my forge_halo.map, all items in my previous forge saves will be slightly ‘shifted’. For example, pickup trucks may become wraiths, and gravity hammers may turn into other human weapons. To me, it appears that the offset of new palette items shifts all current objects. I have confirmed this through the success of new, unedited forge worlds and reverting to old versions of my forge_halo.map. However, I am wondering if there is a known way to future-proof old levels for new versions of the forge_world (I am sure they can be edited when new objects are added, but that may be time-consuming when there are many saved levels to edit).

P.S. Is there any way to delete tags from a .map if there are no references to them?

Thanks,

wblegoboy

Edited by wblegoboy
Added deleting-tags question

is it possible your map is just corrupted? i have so many backups and notes its ridiculous when i make a mod, so when there is some corruption i can always go back and fix it

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, blackdimund said:

is it possible your map is just corrupted? i have so many backups and notes its ridiculous when i make a mod, so when there is some corruption i can always go back and fix it

I am not sure, but I don't believe so. Before I made this thread, I checked multiple saved maps to find that they were all slightly corrupted with different or missing items.

Perhaps it could be that I am modifying the forge_halo palette incorrectly.

Edited by wblegoboy

3 minutes ago, blackdimund said:

you are not poking after adding chunks, are you? you cant poke mods after adding data to a map

Shoot. I do remember poking before with Assembly on my forge saves to see what would happen (it didn't work, anyway). As I am not too familiar with poking, that is probably the case. Do you know of any possible fix? Am I screwed?

Thanks,

wblegoboy

well poking only affects the current loaded map on the xbox i think. if you add or remove chunks, you have to load the entire map back on the xbox again with ftp or whatever

3 minutes ago, blackdimund said:

well poking only affects the current loaded map on the xbox i think. if you add or remove chunks, you have to load the entire map back on the xbox again with ftp or whatever

Ah - that makes sense. I thought I had previously read that poking only altered the current memory. However, because I have been having this issue after restarting my Xbox multiple times, there must be some other problem. I can't talk anymore tonight, but I can get back to you tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, wblegoboy said:

Ah - that makes sense. I thought I had previously read that poking only altered the current memory. However, because I have been having this issue after restarting my Xbox multiple times, there must be some other problem. I can't talk anymore tonight, but I can get back to you tomorrow.

no i think you are right, its only altering the memory, its just you cant properly poke memory with added/removed chunks or it may get messed up in memory

That's just how how Reach (and Halo 4) forge maps are stored. They use indices into the palette rather than fixed tag id's like Halo 3. I forget the exact setup but you may be able to get away with only adding to the very end of the palette each time.

And no, there is no way to delete tags at this time.

wblegoboy likes this

44 minutes ago, Lord Zedd said:

That's just how how Reach (and Halo 4) forge maps are stored. They use indices into the palette rather than fixed tag id's like Halo 3. I forget the exact setup but you may be able to get away with only adding to the very end of the palette each time.

And no, there is no way to delete tags at this time.

OK, that confirms my suspicions (both the palette arrangement and the deleting of tags). I will have to look more into the setup you described. Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help!

Now, I should really be getting some sleep!

By the way, Happy Mother’s Day!

I know it’s a little late now, but to those who are also facing this issue, I found a solution in Assembly (Lord Zedd pointed me in the right direction): I created a new category entry in the forge palette (in my case, I labeled it ‘Hacks’) and then created the subcategories of the new modded entries within. This way, no previous tags are offset - this special ‘Hacks’ category is at the bottom of the palette. Now, along with ‘Weapons, Human’, ‘Weapons, Covenant’, etc. there is a bonus ‘Hacks’ section that contains modded objects.