Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UncookedMoa

Halo: CE
Possibly Start Xbox Halo CE multiplayer maps solo?

5 posts in this topic

As we all know, Halo CE on the original Xbox doesn't allow you to start a game on a multiplayer map without a second controller plugged in. All I'm wondering is if there's any way to bypass this restriction, and explore the multiplayer maps alone - Without connecting a second controller.

On 10/9/2018 at 4:53 PM, Lord Zedd said:

Its been done, but I misplaced my notes for the exact offsets.

I'd love to know how. I just want to walk around the original versions of the Halo CE maps in full screen, before they were modified in the PC release.

(And perhaps take some screenshots)

Edited by UncookedMoa

On 2018-10-08 at 9:16 PM, UncookedMoa said:

As we all know, Halo CE on the original Xbox doesn't allow you to start a game on a multiplayer map without a second controller plugged in. All I'm wondering is if there's any way to bypass this restriction, and explore the multiplayer maps alone - Without connecting a second controller.

You will need a hex editor and Eschaton.

First, open your map in a hex editor, and you will find the name at offset 0x20. Change that from the multiplayer name to a campaign name, (like bloodgulch to a10). Extra characters should just be overwritten by null characters (0x00 in hex). Then change offset 0x60 from 0x01 to 0x00. Then rename your .map file to a10.map (or whatever).

Then you need to open the map in Eschaton. Open the scenario tag, and find the player starting location offsets. Change the type to none for one of the chunks. Multiplayer maps will have spawn types set to gametypes (ctf, etc.) by default, which will not work if you load them as campaign (since there is no gametype). You may also need to change the team index to 0.

(This can also be done using a hex editor: find offset 0x10, and write down the 32bit value [all these values are little endian, so you'll have to reverse the numbers [00 94 d2 02 becomes 0x02d29400]. Subtract that number from 0x803a6000 to get the map magic number. Write down that number. Then go to the address of the first value you found at 0x10, plus 0x38. Take that value and subtract the magic number. Add 0x358 to that, and go to that address. Take that value, subtract the magic number, and then go to that address plus 0x14. Change that number to 0x00.)

Also you may need to adjust the map size, to make the multiplayer map as big as a single player map. You can use a hex editor for this. Just add 0xE700000 00s to the end of the cache file (assuming you are working with a vanilla copy of Halo). Hex editors should have an insert string n amount of times function.

EDIT: Here's a program that will do this for you: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R-WaIH-HfXz1QhjtUOqZdta4wxfAEWa-/view?usp=sharing

Just drag and drop your multiplayer cache file onto the program and wait for it to finish. It will produce a new single player cache file for Pillar of Autumn that you must upload to your Xbox.

Edited by KasperZERO

On 11/7/2018 at 2:05 AM, KasperZERO said:

You will need a hex editor and Eschaton.

First, open your map in a hex editor, and you will find the name at offset 0x20. Change that from the multiplayer name to a campaign name, (like bloodgulch to a10). Extra characters should just be overwritten by null characters (0x00 in hex). Then change offset 0x60 from 0x01 to 0x00. Then rename your .map file to a10.map (or whatever).

Then you need to open the map in Eschaton. Open the scenario tag, and find the player starting location offsets. Change the type to none for one of the chunks. Multiplayer maps will have spawn types set to gametypes (ctf, etc.) by default, which will not work if you load them as campaign (since there is no gametype). You may also need to change the team index to 0.

(This can also be done using a hex editor: find offset 0x10, and write down the 32bit value [all these values are little endian, so you'll have to reverse the numbers [00 94 d2 02 becomes 0x02d29400]. Subtract that number from 0x803a6000 to get the map magic number. Write down that number. Then go to the address of the first value you found at 0x10, plus 0x38. Take that value and subtract the magic number. Add 0x358 to that, and go to that address. Take that value, subtract the magic number, and then go to that address plus 0x14. Change that number to 0x00.)

Also you may need to adjust the map size, to make the multiplayer map as big as a single player map. You can use a hex editor for this. Just add 0xE700000 00s to the end of the cache file (assuming you are working with a vanilla copy of Halo). Hex editors should have an insert string n amount of times function.

EDIT: Here's a program that will do this for you: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R-WaIH-HfXz1QhjtUOqZdta4wxfAEWa-/view?usp=sharing

Just drag and drop your multiplayer cache file onto the program and wait for it to finish. It will produce a new single player cache file for Pillar of Autumn that you must upload to your Xbox.

Essentially, what you did was turn the multiplayer maps into single-player ones. Lord Zedd's solution is quicker and simpler, seeing as he modified the xbe. Wonder how he did it.

I guess I could use your solution together with a debug xbe, since I have no idea what modifications Zedd did. Would love to modify the debug xbes instead. though. Would save a lot of space.

Edited by UncookedMoa