Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Akarias

General
[PC] Reach: Getting Started

32 posts in this topic

Woo reach is on PC now!

Time to mod the living hell out of it.

Before we get started, make sure to make a backup of your game files, for steam users you will find them under:

'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Halo The Master Chief Collection\haloreach\maps'

Assembly: https://www.nexusmods.com/halothemasterchiefcollection/mods/1

Only download assembly precompiled from the above link

Modding MCC is actually rather straight forward if we are just talking about map files, its business as usual if you have experience modding previous titles both on console and PC; Simply navigate to the map file in assembly and open it up. You can poke, save & of course extract and inject tags between maps! 

If you are looking for tutorials there are plenty of them here on the websites, I will admit most of them are quite old now but their ideas still apply and there is much to be learnt from reading them. Check out the various tutorial sections. 

One thing to remember is that the Halo games are very similar when it comes to their tag systems, most methods / ideas can be applied to multiple games so dont be afraid to explore and adapt old information that you find kicking around.

I've never modded halo before, what should I do?

Experiment of course! Each of the levels that you play in game are stored in .map files. You can use a program like assembly to open these files and tinker around with its inner workings.

When you open a map you will be greeted by a screen that looks like this:

Vy7LIz6.png Looks pretty scary right? Wrong! Welcome to tag modding!

Every single thing that you see in game has something called a "tag", on the left hand side of the screen you will see the various "classes" of tags that comprise the map.

Take a look at the [bipd]Biped class, its where all the various bipeds that are used for players and AI etc are stored. If you have a campaign map open, you can open the spartans biped tag to see some infomation.

For multiplayer open the spartans_mp biped tag, or if you are playing as an elite... I think you get the idea.

8tVqYOJ.pngjNnMHOm.png

Now take a look at the new screen that has opened up, we call this the meta editor. To make a long story very short its just a very fancy looking hex editor that makes your life easy when it comes to finding and editing tags. You can scroll down using the scroll bar on the side, but far more efficient to search for what you are looking for. Press Ctrl+F to open up the search bar and you can then type in the name of what you are looking for. Lets look for "jump":

V9xdeiY.png You can click on the drop down box to choose from the various found items, it will take you straight to them.

5cMaVW6.png Neato. We can see the jump velocity and that it is stored in the tag as a single-precision floating-point value.

Let's do something silly like change it to 5. You can then press save and start the map in MCC... or if you already have the game running and open on that exact map you can do something called "poking"; poking lets you make changes in real time so there is no need to save and reload the map. (Please note that having a map open in MCC means you will not be able to save to it, so return back to the lobby before you save any changes.)

RXDMfkq.png Poked changes only exist while the map is running. After you end the game the changes are lost. Note: poking can cause crashes but it depends.

That's it! Your first ever MCC mod done. Why not explore the [weap]weapons tag class and see what you can cook up? Perhaps some vehicles? There is too much to cover in a single post so carefully explore around the various tags, see what interests you and play around for a while. When you feel ready take a look at some of the tutorials that are kicking around and have a go at them, build your knowledge and it will be second nature to you.

You wont be creating AI, forging in campaign or doing complex things just yet. Learn how the system works first.

(Feel free to download patches for these though, nothing wrong with that)

I hope this helped you out if you are new around here or to modding in general.

Not many people have stuck around to mod reach over the years but perhaps that will change now.

Go make some cool stuff!

You can also refer to zedd's older posts, ignore anything console related. I dont feel like rewriting it all. 

rr7Or4q.jpg

Edited by Akarias
Link update
7ime and weighta like this

The link leads to nothing.

EDIT: Unless you copy and paste it.

Edited by Maydelcore

Whenever I open one of the Reach .map files with Assembly, I get a message: 'Engine not supported'

Any idea why this is? Thanks in advance

enginenotsupported.jpg

11 minutes ago, RtasVadum said:

Whenever I open one of the Reach .map files with Assembly, I get a message: 'Engine not supported'

Any idea why this is? Thanks in advance

enginenotsupported.jpg

This is because you did not compile the latest assembly version.

Here is a fixed link: https://github.com/XboxChaos/Assembly/tree/dev_mcc

If nobody wants to compile the new version (like I almost didn't want to), I may just do an upload sometime to mediafire.

Completed all the steps in this tutorial, still getting the error, and there's no 'Assembly.exe' in the directory to even start it, so either the tutorial was badly explained or I'm missing something here

4 hours ago, weighta said:

This is because you did not compile the latest assembly version.

Here is a fixed link: https://github.com/XboxChaos/Assembly/tree/dev_mcc

If nobody wants to compile the new version (like I almost didn't want to), I may just do an upload sometime to mediafire.

I'd rather you not upload.

weighta and Akarias like this

5 hours ago, Lord Zedd said:

Roger roger. I'm good with the source, it's just that now everybody has to download Xbox 360 Neighborhood lol.

EDIT: Also, will there be a way to convert an old mod on the 360 to PC? Thought it would be neat to play some snow slayer in some custom games with friends. If not, I could probably just go tag through tag and recreate the mod assembly

Edited by weighta

7 minutes ago, weighta said:

Roger roger.

I'm good with the source, it's just that now everybody has to download Xbox 360 Neighborhood lol.

You can omit the xbdm references etc. and still build it.

10 hours ago, Lord Zedd said:

Why would you not want him to upload a compiled version of the file? Modding is all about helping others to be more active in the community.

40 minutes ago, Cherneazy said:

Why would you not want him to upload a compiled version of the file? Modding is all about helping others to be more active in the community.

Assembly is Zedds project he has the say so rather a pre-compiled version should be linked here or not. So with that in mind, just download it and compile it yourself, it takes 2 seconds to do. If you don't know how to compile a source project there are plenty of tutorials on how to do so.

11 minutes ago, CabooseSayzWTF said:

Assembly is Zedds project he has the say so rather a pre-compiled version should be linked here or not. So with that in mind, just download it and compile it yourself, it takes 2 seconds to do. If you don't know how to compile a source project there are plenty of tutorials on how to do so.

My bad, had no idea it was his project :sick:

1 hour ago, Cherneazy said:

It isn't quite finished or I would have uploaded it myself.

2 minutes ago, Lord Zedd said:

It isn't quite finished or I would have uploaded it myself.

I'm trying to compile the .sln file, but it keeps saying i'm missing files? Is this a common error? 

debug.JPG

weighta likes this

Man it's been sometime, Looks like things still need to be sorted out before things are stable. I'll wait for a good build since Zed said it's not readyish at the moment. Akarias nice post!

9 hours ago, Cherneazy said:

I'm trying to compile the .sln file, but it keeps saying i'm missing files? Is this a common error? 

debug.JPG

You need xdevkit.dll and add it as a reference to XBDMCommunicator by adding it to the folder in the source files (Assembly-dev_mcc\src\XBDMCommunicator)
You can download it by searching "Xbox 360 SDK" on a search engine.
There is a good video on how to get this done on youtube

Any change in campaign map leads to crashing, is it good? I compiled Assembly, it lauched... i don't know my mistake.

Edited by Tomato78

Ah, finally to start modding Halo again. I missed those Halo2x days. Latest Assembly version works great. Although, seems there are a lot of undocumented values in some tags (like ligh), so I am updating those plugins... not sure the best way to share updated plugins these days? Also, since Korn hasn't stopped by Halomods in forever, is this site and r/halomods the only places where actual mod devs tend to live?

Lots of people seem unable to figure out how to compile Assembly, although its literally at the bottom of the Read-me

Other things you might have to do;

- Install Expression Blend SDK for .NET 4, as stated in the Readme

- Pretty sure no one is technically allowed to distribute xdevkit.dll, which is part of the reason you shouldn't go publicly uploading a compiled Assembly with that DLL. So I just removed functions and references of it, not hard since VS will tell you where to find them all.

- I use VS Studio 2017, had to retarget the solution to my build tools version. No issues.

- Make sure you build Win64 Release version, if you build 32bit, you can't poke the 64 bit game.

(to be frank, if you can't figure stuff like this out, of which can be figured out by Googling, you probably are not going to have a fun time trying to figure out modding Halo)

Edited by GaryJS3

44 minutes ago, GaryJS3 said:

Ah, finally to start modding Halo again. I missed those Halo2x days. Latest Assembly version works great. Although, seems there are a lot of undocumented values in some tags (like ligh), so I am updating those plugins... not sure the best way to share updated plugins these days? Also, since Korn hasn't stopped by Halomods in forever, is this site and r/halomods the only places where actual mod devs tend to live?

Lots of people seem unable to figure out how to compile Assembly, although its literally at the bottom of the Read-me

- Pretty sure no one is technically allowed to distribute xdevkit.dll, which is part of the reason you shouldn't go publicly uploading a compiled Assembly with that DLL. So I just removed functions and references of it, not hard since VS will tell you where to find them all.

- I use VS Studio 2017, had to retarget the solution to my build tools version. No issues.

- Make sure you build Win64 Release version, if you build 32bit, you can't poke the 64 bit game.

(to be frank, if you can't figure stuff like this out, of which can be figured out by Googling, you probably are not going to have a fun time trying to figure out modding Halo)

You can send plugins to me directly, or create a pull request on github.

CabooseSayzWTF likes this

1 hour ago, Lord Zedd said:

You can send plugins to me directly, or create a pull request on github.

Offtopic but the datums for anything script related need to be corrected, they are back to front for obvious reasons. Just a name change.

Edited by Akarias

14 hours ago, GaryJS3 said:

Thanks!

Edited by Tomato78