Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AeroDox121

General
Halo Reach MCC , Reducing Bloom and Making Weapons Automatic Tutorial

12 posts in this topic

So first things first we are going to be using assembly , if you do not have Assembly, you may need to head Here and download the latest Dev version of Assembly .

You Will also need to compile it, and there is a great video for that right Here

Once you have Assembly we can get started.

First Step.

Head into steam , click library, and find Halo: The Master Chief Collection and Right Click it.  Then click Properties , this will bring up a window and inside this window will be a set of tabs

You want to click Local Files , Then Browse Local Files.

Second Step.

Inside the folder we just opened will be a bunch of files and folder, you want to find and enter the folder called haloreach, and then inside that folder, enter the maps folder.

This folder contains all of Halo Reach's Maps. For the purposes of this tutorial we are going to find "cex_beaver_creek.map" inside this folder, right click and copy it and paste it to the desktop.

At this time i would advise you to create a folder inside this map folder called Backup, and copy all the maps inside the maps folder and place them inside the Backup folder for safe keeping.

Third Step.

Now we want to open Assembly. Once you have opened Assembly , on the left side of the window you will see "Open Content File" click that and find cex_beaver_creek.map you placed on your desktop and open it.

once you have opened the map , on the left side of the program window you will see the words Header, Tags, Strings, and Scripts. Click Tags.

Fourth Step.

First off dont panic, this may look like a lot of nonsense to someone who is knew to this but it is actually very simply. we are now looking at all the Tags that the map Beaver Creek is composed of.

Still, on the left side of the program window you will see a big list of tags. We need to find the Weapon tag which looks like "weap" . you will find it near the bottom of the tag list as you scroll down.

Once you have found the "weap" tag, double click it and open it. You will now have another list show up. This list is all of the weapons avaliable in the beaver creek map we've opened and you can pick and weapon inside here that you like but for this tutorial I would suggest you Find the one labeled "objects\weapons\rifle\dmr\dmr" and click it.

Fifth Step.

Once you have opened this file you will see in the main window, A LOT of words, numbers and input boxes. For now, at the top of the window in the Search Bar, type in "Barrels"

This will bring us too a section of this weapon that deals with part of how the gun fires. There is a lot of neat stuff in here but for now find " Rounds Per Second min" and change the value in the box next to it, to 10. Then directly underneath it, find "Rounds Per Second max" and change the value in the box to 10 also. Continuing down the list further is a box labeled "Fire Recovery Time" find it and change the value in this box to 0 . Fire Recovery Time deals with how long inbetween shots the player can pull the trigger again. so by changing this value to 0 we have told it that there is no recovery time and we can fire the weapon right away again after firing .

Sixth Step.

Navigate back up to the Search Bar and type in " Bloom Rate of Decay" , once you have found the box, change the value to 10. Bloom Rate of Decay, deals with the way the reticle changes as you fire the weapon. The lower this value is, the slower the reticle will shrink back to normal when we fire the dmr in game, the Higher the value, the faster the reticle will shrink back to normal. By changing the value to 10, we have effectivly made that shrinking return to normal almost immediatly.

Final Step.

At the bottom of the main window you will see Save, Poke, Reload, Revisions, And Options. Click Save. A small window will show up that says "the metadata has been saved to the original file"

your now done with this mod. so go back to your maps folder inside haloreach, and delete the map "cex_beaver_creek" and replace it with the file on your desktop. Thats It Your Done!

To use your mod, you will have to launch Halo MCC With Anti-Cheat Disabled, and you will have to open it in a custom game and it will actually be called "Battle Canyon" but go ahead and load up the map and give it a shot.

Well this is helpful!

I've made the BR automatic in Halo 2 before, but I didn't know that it could be done independently of editing the fire modes from latch-zoom to spew.

I need to keep testing then because I am currently trying to work out a weapon with two fire modes; copying the Plasma Pistol is not behaving.

Isn't it also possible to make weapons automatic by going into the Flags under Barrels and unchecking the "Cannot Fire When Others Firing" box?  I did that for the Magnum and it now fires just like the M6D of Combat Evolved.

3 hours ago, BioGoji1989 said:

Isn't it also possible to make weapons automatic by going into the Flags under Barrels and unchecking the "Cannot Fire When Others Firing" box?  I did that for the Magnum and it now fires just like the M6D of Combat Evolved.

Change the weapon's behavior to spew to make it fully automatic.

32434.PNG

I tried this and it didnt work for me. or at least not in the way i wanted. changing it to spew just means you can hold down the fire button amd itll keep firing, but to make it like an assault rifle level of automatic, i found that fire recovery time was essential to change

i32434.PNG

Edited by AeroDox121

16 hours ago, MythicalRewards said:

Change the weapon's behavior to spew to make it fully automatic.

32434.PNG

Yeah, but with some weapons, you have to make sure that "firing parallel" is unchecked, or else it fires two rounds or two shots instead of one each time you pull the trigger if you're trying to pace your shots.  I learned this the hard way when making the DMR full auto, because APPARENTLY the damn thing is tied to the shotgun somehow!  I tried keeping the DMR as latch and made the shotgun spew so that I could make it fire like the one from CE, but then the DMR started acting funny, despite not being touched, and I found out that they're somehow LINKED!  So, I just changed the DMR to spew as well.

ReteroX likes this

BioGoji1989 I just had this issue and came back here to confirm... Could this be an issue with using an unfinished fork of Assembly or is Reach set up differently from Halo 2? Very curious.

11 hours ago, ReteroX said:

BioGoji1989 I just had this issue and came back here to confirm... Could this be an issue with using an unfinished fork of Assembly or is Reach set up differently from Halo 2? Very curious.

Tags can share blocks to save on space, resulting in stuff like you guys are experiencing. A workaround would need to be added to Assembly to make a unique copy.

ReteroX likes this

Thanks for the response! That definitely makes sense given what I've experienced.

I found a way to work around it anyhow, thanks again for the help!

On 12/10/2019 at 0:55 AM, AeroDox121 said:

I tried this and it didnt work for me. or at least not in the way i wanted. changing it to spew just means you can hold down the fire button amd itll keep firing, but to make it like an assault rifle level of automatic, i found that fire recovery time was essential to change

Yeah this has actually been an issue since Halo 2. There are basically two methods for controlling full-auto rate of fire from Halo 2 onwards:

1) The "normal" method: Use the "Rounds Per Second" values and make sure the "Shots Per Fire" values are set to zero. This is easier to get the true rate of fire you want, but the gun always wants to fire 2-3 rounds even if you let off the fire button before the 2nd shot is fired. If you want to be able to tap-fire single shots, or even have tight control of your bursts, this winds up being counter-productive.

2) The workaround method: Set your min and max "Shots Per Fire" values to 1, and control your cyclic rate with the Fire Recovery Time value. This stops firing exactly when you release the trigger allowing for precise tap-firing of single-shots and precise bursts. FYI, the Rounds Per Second value stops being used entirely and does nothing as soon as "Shots Per Fire" is a non-zero value, so don't try to use them in tandem thinking it will change something.

The big disadvantage to the second method is that the "Fire Recovery Time" does not actually have a 1:1 relationship with the timing between shots. Normally you would expect that to get a rate of fire of 10 shots per second, you would set the Fire Recovery Time to 1/10 of a second (0.1). In actuality, the Fire Recovery Time adds ROUGHLY 0.025 seconds to whatever value you put in, so 0.1 gives you a rate closer to 8 shots per second (0.125 seconds between shots).

In order to get the cyclic rates I wanted in my Halo Online mod, I had to do a ton of trial to match things up. The values I discovered that matched were as-follows:

shots per second = fire recovery time
15 sps = 0.04 frt
12.5 sps = 0.0475 frt
12 sps = 0.05 frt
10 sps = 0.07 frt
9 sps = 0.085
8 sps = 0.01023
6 sps = 0.15 frt
4 sps = 0.22
3 sps = 0.31

Again, this was in Halo Online/Edlewrito. I haven't tested Reach too much yet, so these may not translate exactly in Reach. I have definitely found some values to work differently from prior games.

EDIT: Yeah, Reach works totally different to the above. In Reach, the fire recovery time will not go smaller than about 1/8th of a second regardless of what value you put in, so you're stuck with WWII-era cyclic rates which feel kinda bad on something like the AR.

Edited by h3r3t1c

On 12/12/2019 at 7:35 PM, Lord Zedd said:

Tags can share blocks to save on space, resulting in stuff like you guys are experiencing. A workaround would need to be added to Assembly to make a unique copy.

I am finding that simply duplicating the tag gives you a version without merged blocks.

For example Spiker/Plasma Rifle/Needler all share the same Trigger Behavior block, so setting one to Latch forces them all to Latch. However, if you duplicate one of them, then changing the dupe's Trigger Behavior doesn't force the others to match, and changing the others doesn't force change the dupe.