Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
h3r3t1c

Modding
Possible to add "head shield" to Omaha for Shield Headshot Bonuses?

3 posts in this topic

Looking at the Omaha Damage Sections, it seems plausible to add a "head shield" with its own global material, allowing i.e. Spartan and Elite bipeds to receive damage modifiers for shield headshots.

My main question is how would you link it specifically to the head region? Everything I see in Omaha Damage Sections looks self-explanatory, but I don't see any locational references (beyond the name string?).

Looks at the string name as defined in the Collision Region block.

That block then defines the index and various permutations if there are different damage states.

Its doable.

Hmm, if it's just a matter of matching the damage section string name with string names in the collision region block, there are several damage sections like shield, armor_lock_shield_loop, and armor_lock_shield_pre, which don't match any collision region strings, so how are those being assigned to collision regions?

I don't see any other fields in the damage section which point to collision regions, nor fields in the collision regions which point back to damage sections. In fact, the only block I see with a field for damage sections is the targets block, and it doesn't actually use the damage sections fields for any targets on spartans or elites.

I guess I could take a shot in the dark and create an 2nd "head" damage section hoping it matches to the head collision region, then check Bit7 and hope that causes it to share a vitality pool with the base shield. But I feel like I'm missing something crucial so I won't get my hopes up.

EDIT: Yeah, no luck. In addition to merely matching the damage section string name to the collision region string name, I tried making a new collision region and matching to that, and I tried using region state changes pointing to the region index based on how grunt/brute helmets are handled. Nothing worked. Basically it all came down to two problem:

1) The new shield isn't localized to the head region at all

2) The new shield doesn't carry damage over to the base shield or nor destroy it upon being destroyed itself.

I wouldn't rule this out as entirely impossible yet, but the solution definitely escapes me.

Edited by h3r3t1c