Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Xbox Chaos: Modding Evolved

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

LazyGamerJc

General Knowledge About Jtags

31 posts in this topic

For those of you out there who want to get started with modding, here are a few frequently asked questions related to JTAG's.

FAQ #1

What is a "JTAG"?

It is a hack for the Xbox 360 that allows you to run unsigned code.

FAQ #2

How can I do the JTAG hack?

If you have a JTAG-able console (see FAQ #3), there are multiple tutorials around the internet that will show you the various methods that you can use. One method involves using a USB SPI flasher and another uses an LPT cable.

FAQ #3

How can I tell if my 360 is exploitable?

Posted Image

Credit this pic to EclipseModz from Se7ensins.

In this picture, the number 8955 is the kernel version. You can only do the JTAG hack if you have a kernel version of 7371 or lower.

FAQ #4

My kernel version is too recent. Can I downgrade?

As of right now, there is no possible way. Updating to the NXE dashboard blew an E-fuse on the motherboard and made the hack impossible to do.

FAQ #5

Can I go on XBL?

From my knowledge as of April 12th 2011, you can not go online.

FAQ #6

What is a KV and why does it matter?

(Credit for this info goes to NITRAM.)

Here's some more information on Key Vault's (KV)

The KV file is extracted from a nand dump, it can be extracted in to forms encrypted and decrypted. To decrypt it you will need the CPU key of the console the nand dump came from as for most other files in the nand.

A lot of information can be determined from the KV file here is a list,

KV Type

The KV type (1 or 2) type 2 mean's it was extracted from a Xbox above a xenon, also the type two KV's have be hashed to stop editing. Also some of the type one were hashed as well depending on what they have be updated to, plus some xenon's that was sent back for repair had there KV's hashed.

MFR Date

The Manufacture Date of the console this can also be found at the back of the console.

Console ID

The consoles unique ID now this can also be found in another few places but this area of the KV is one of the area's that if changed will brake the hash of the KV making it invalid and the console will give you (Xmas Lights) that would only count if the KV is hash which most are nowadays. Think of the Console ID as a product key it's the console ticket to connect to live this along other things is what gets blacklisted in Xbox live Servers when they ban you this is really the main part they use tho. They can also using this remove your console's right to sign profiles which would make them become corrupt when loaded in to another console.

Serial number

The Serial number of the console

Region

The Region of the console examples PAL/EU, NTSC/US

OSIG

The OSIG of the DVD drive in the console that the KV came from this information was added in when type two came out.

DVD Key

The Key of the DVD Drive in the console that the KV came from, for a game to load the key needs to be the same as the key on the DVD drive.

There are just some of the main part's of the KV there is a lot more information about the console inside that file.

-NITRAM

FAQ #7

How do you go on XBL with an unbanned JTAG if it can't be updated?

You don't. JTAG's online have been patched. You'd have to either figure out a way to modify the PPC code in xam.xex so that it spits out normal console information when connecting, or go beg one of the people who have done it and ask for the files. No one on Xbox Chaos can do it, however.

FAQ #8

What is the difference between XBReboot and FreeBOOT?

They are basically the same, but FreeBOOT is generally more reliable then XBReboot. Also, XBReboot has not been updated to work with the latest dash since kernel version 8955. The newest FreeBOOT is able to boot to the latest Dashboard update, which is kernel 12625. This will change on 5/19/11 when Microsoft releases the new spring update.

FAQ #9

I've heard of Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon, Opus, and Jasper. What are they?

They are the different motherboard types that an Xbox 360 console can have. You most likely heard about them when someone was asking about what type of motherboard was in the JTAG they were buying.

FAQ #10

Which motherboard is the best one to have for a JTAG?

This is the order of reliability starting at the worst and going up:

Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon/Opus (both are mostly the same except Opus doesn't have HDMI), and Jasper.

FAQ #11

Can I .map mod Halo: Reach?

Yes. You can also .map mod Halo 3.

FAQ #12

Can I mod COD?

You can mod COD 4 and MW2. You can mod Black Ops, but anyone who receives mods from you (rank mods) will get banned. Treyarch stepped up their game. Occasionally, game patches come out which temporarily block JTAG to retail system link infections until new patches are made.

If any of this information is incorrect, simply tell me but please don't flame. This will be updated as I see more questions come about.

Information updated by Thunder 5/11/11

Edited by AMD 5/11/11

Updated with newer info. Some of the links were old and I proofread it.

Cool, I'll maybe do some proofreading myself and then pin it and put a link on the portal. We get a lot of new members wanting to .MAP mod without even knowing what a JTAG is.

Cool, I'll maybe do some proofreading myself and then pin it and put a link on the portal. We get a lot of new members wanting to .MAP mod without even knowing what a JTAG is.

Aight cool.

Updated with newer info. Some of the links were old and I proofread it.

Further updated. Basically rewrote parts of the last half with stuff about CoD and the online status of JTAG's

Further updated. Basically rewrote parts of the last half with stuff about CoD and the online status of JTAG's

Aight thanks.

Thanks for this information. Im now know i need to purchase an older version xbox console. They are actually fairly cheap. Without this information i could have done damage to my console seing how it's a way newer version. It is non exploitable.

Thanks for this information. Im now know i need to purchase an older version xbox console. They are actually fairly cheap. Without this information i could have done damage to my console seing how it's a way newer version. It is non exploitable.

I recommend buying a pre-jtagged console unless you have some soldering experience. Not much experience is needed but if you have never used a soldering iron then just buy a pre-jtagged console.

its different soldeing a motherboard, because the solder points you need to solder on the xbox are small, unlike some of the stuff i have soldered, so its different trying it

I dont have much soldering experience so i think i am going to go with the pre-jtag console. Thanks for the advice. Where is the best place to buy pre-jtag consoles?

Is there any way to mod without soldering and taking apart your console ?

Unfortunately not, the Xbox 360 is a very secure system and is almost impossible to exploit through software.

If you don't want to do any soldering, you can try searching around on the internet for pre-modded consoles. But be prepared to face a larger price tag. Even if you do decide to go the soldering route, though, you will need to have a kernel of 7371 or lower and therefore might need to buy a JTAG-able box anyway (although this may change with the new reset glitch hack...).

what is a NAND ive hearsd of it but what does it do and is it essential also would you need to do anything with it?

NAND is a flash memory chip that stores the dashboard software. You reflash it with other files when you JTAG to take advantage of the exploit.

NAND is a flash memory chip that stores the dashboard software. You reflash it with other files when you JTAG to take advantage of the exploit.

sort of, its not actually the chip but instead just the file that is stored on the memory chip.

but yea you mod it to do the exploits being it contains the main files for the console.

sort of, its not actually the chip but instead just the file that is stored on the memory chip.

but yea you mod it to do the exploits being it contains the main files for the console.

I don't think the file you dump is called a NAND, it's a dump of the actual NAND chip's files.

I don't think the file you dump is called a NAND, it's a dump of the actual NAND chip's files.

when i got my jtag my friend sent me the three files composed of the nand. they themselves werent called nand, however the chip itself is just a internal memory storage. such as how the slim 4gb has a 4gb internal storage rather than the small storage of other consoles

when i got my jtag my friend sent me the three files composed of the nand. they themselves werent called nand, however the chip itself is just a internal memory storage. such as how the slim 4gb has a 4gb internal storage rather than the small storage of other consoles

Thanks guys, just making sure.